POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open source Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:16:31 EDT (-0400)
  Open source (Message 1 to 10 of 26)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Open source
Date: 14 Feb 2009 10:20:33
Message: <4996e141$1@news.povray.org>
Open source is great! You can just modify the thing yourself if it
doesn't work right.

...er, yeah. Nice in theory. Not so great in practice. ;-) Between
trying to get Linux to work properly, fiddling with CLI tools, and
trying to get revision control to play nicely, not to mention the fun
and games of communicating with other humans, it's... quite tricky.

Still, if I ever manage to get this to work, I guess it'll look nice on
my CV. :-}

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 15:20:33 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> ...er, yeah. Nice in theory. Not so great in practice. ;-) Between
> trying to get Linux to work properly, fiddling with CLI tools, and
> trying to get revision control to play nicely, not to mention the fun
> and games of communicating with other humans, it's... quite tricky.

So what problems are you having, which distro, and where are you asking?

Using openSUSE, there's nothing I had to do to "get Linux to work
properly", 11.0 basically just worked for me.

Jim

Post a reply to this message