POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open source : Re: Open source Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:14:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open source
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Feb 2009 14:36:48
Message: <49971d50$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Weirdly, this kind of thing never seems to happen on Windows. I guess
> because "Windows" is one monolithic block of software, whereas "Linux"
> is several billion tiny pieces, all of which are in a sense optional.

It's more like people actively avoid using what doesn't come with Windows,
or they buy libraries for support that allow redistribution. When's the last
time you bought a Windows program that had documentation in PDFs but didn't
have adobe reader on the CD, or a game that didn't have a DirectX install
directory on it, or etc?

When there are big enough packages that people *do* want to rely on them
(say, .NET runtimes), you wind up installing prerequisites.

> over IRC seems to be like getting blood out of a stone. I guess
> everybody is in a different timezone to me?

Or, maybe, you're not paying them so they don't care? :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"