POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open source : Re: Open source Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open source
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 14 Feb 2009 14:23:58
Message: <49971a4e$1@news.povray.org>
>> ...er, yeah. Nice in theory. Not so great in practice. ;-) Between
>> trying to get Linux to work properly, fiddling with CLI tools, and
>> trying to get revision control to play nicely, not to mention the fun
>> and games of communicating with other humans, it's... quite tricky.
>
> So what problems are you having, which distro, and where are you asking?
>
> Using openSUSE, there's nothing I had to do to "get Linux to work
> properly", 11.0 basically just worked for me.

I've got it all straightened out *now*. ;-)

My problem wasn't actually "getting Linux to work", but rather "getting
Linux to do what I want". But in my experience, Linux package managers
are often very awkward to use. You know - the whole "I want to install
this one package, and no I don't want to also upgrade 3,657 other
packages to a different version".

Weirdly, this kind of thing never seems to happen on Windows. I guess
because "Windows" is one monolithic block of software, whereas "Linux"
is several billion tiny pieces, all of which are in a sense optional.

After that, I had all the fun of trying to work out how to operate
makefiles, where the stuff I want to alter actually is, how to operate
the version control system, and so forth. Plus getting hold of a human
over IRC seems to be like getting blood out of a stone. I guess
everybody is in a different timezone to me?

It's sorted now, it just took rather a lot of effort considering the
triviallity of what I actually set out to do. ;-)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/