POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open source : Re: Open source Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:14:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open source
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 14 Feb 2009 15:03:52
Message: <499723a8$1@news.povray.org>
>> I've got it all straightened out *now*. ;-)
>>
>> My problem wasn't actually "getting Linux to work", but rather "getting
>> Linux to do what I want". But in my experience, Linux package managers
>> are often very awkward to use. You know - the whole "I want to install
>> this one package, and no I don't want to also upgrade 3,657 other
>> packages to a different version".
>
> openSUSE's package management seems to do pretty well with this.  If I
> want to install Virtualbox OSE, I just run "yast2 -i" (for a graphical
> way to do this) or "zypper in virtualbox-ose" in a terminal window.
>
> The package manager figures out what's needed, resolves all dependencies,
> and installs the necessary packages.

Yeah. It's great when it works like that. But sometimes it decides that
it wants to install version X of the thing you asked for, which depends
on a completely different version of something critical - GCC, the Linux
kernel, libc, whatever. Obviously, replace that and you have to replace
half the software on your HD. :-}

> While not as common as it used to be, dll hell still (to what I hear, not
> being a Windows user) happens.  But much of the time packages include the
> version of the DLLs they need and use them rather than the installed
> system libraries.

This, of course, completely defies the entire purpose of shared
libraries! :-D

>> Plus getting hold of a human
>> over IRC seems to be like getting blood out of a stone. I guess
>> everybody is in a different timezone to me?
>
> Try online forums instead - you're already familiar with them.  Ubuntu
> and openSUSE have very vibrant online communities.
>
> I never use IRC to ask for help - just never needed that sort of
> immediacy.

No - this was for help with the open-source project I'm trying to
contribute to, not for Linux. ;-)

>> It's sorted now, it just took rather a lot of effort considering the
>> triviallity of what I actually set out to do. ;-)
>
> Which was what, out of curiosity?

I added a section to the user manual. (Which is written in something
called "docbook", by the way.)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/