POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Open source : Re: Open source Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Open source
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 14 Feb 2009 16:29:39
Message: <499737c3$1@news.povray.org>
So OK, so it's saturday night... and I'm recompiling my compiler. o_O

Yah, that's right. First you install a binary version of the compiler.
Then you use that to compile a minimal version of the compiler from
source. Then you use *that* to compile a full version from source.

Not forgetting that since the compiler is written in the same
programming language, gotta compile all the standard libraries twice
too. Oh, and then on the final pass, the libraries get compiled into
several versions - "normal", "debug", "profiling", etc. And the user
manual needs to be converted from DocBook to HTML - but you don't need a
compiler for that, fortunately!

I should probably get out more...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/