POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game recommendations Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:21:12 EDT (-0400)
  Game recommendations (Message 41 to 50 of 52)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 2 Messages >>>
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Game recommendations
Date: 10 Feb 2009 15:16:23
Message: <4991e097$1@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook v2 wrote:
> That could have been better. Both the story and design was very nice and
> it had a few neat little platformng innovations such as the footprints
> showing where you'd land, but it just lacked something IDK.

Exactly my feelings. It would be lame without the tie-ins to the book. Sort
of like pron music without the porn to go with it.

> I've got SS2 to run on XP and added in the SHTUP high-def texture patch
> without a problem if you've got Thief to run so should SS2.

Maybe I'll give it a try. I have three games already I've started and I
can't get in spired to play any of them.

> To be fair you are stuck on a space-station or space-ship in SS1 and SS2
> respectively so gray is the theme ;-)

I understand why. The right answer is to be clever.

Myst had a very small amount of data space available for the way it was
built. So what do they do? They put you on an island, where there's a
natural barrier preventing you from wandering, rather than just a "you can't
go that way" message. None of this Undying "Jammed!" stuff.

> unlike some games I didn't get overtly lost in SS2.

I *still* get lost in Thief. :-) Even Bafford's Manor is pretty baffling
sometimes.

>> And a novel way of doing things. Perhaps Mirror's Edge was inspired a
>> bit by Portal.
>
> Conceptually perhaps,

That's what I meant, yes. More a "puzzle of how to get there" than anything.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"

Post a reply to this message