POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game recommendations : Re: Game recommendations Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:20:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Game recommendations
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 11 Feb 2009 04:29:35
Message: <op.uo6knuavmn4jds@phils>
And lo On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 20:16:18 -0000, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
did spake thusly:

> Phil Cook v2 wrote:
>> I've got SS2 to run on XP and added in the SHTUP high-def texture patch
>> without a problem if you've got Thief to run so should SS2.
>
> Maybe I'll give it a try. I have three games already I've started and I
> can't get in spired to play any of them.

It's also nice to be able to pick your career path, helps replayability.

>> To be fair you are stuck on a space-station or space-ship in SS1 and
>> SS2 respectively so gray is the theme ;-)
>
> I understand why. The right answer is to be clever.
>
> Myst had a very small amount of data space available for the way it was
> built. So what do they do? They put you on an island, where there's a
> natural barrier preventing you from wandering, rather than just a "you
> can't go that way" message. None of this Undying "Jammed!" stuff.

Oh gods they've still got that in Fallout3. I came out of a building near
the edge of the 'world' and got ambushed; backed off, chucked a grenade
and tried to run between two escarpments and came to an abrupt halt at an
invisble wall.

>> unlike some games I didn't get overtly lost in SS2.
>
> I *still* get lost in Thief. :-) Even Bafford's Manor is pretty baffling
> sometimes.

Ditto, I found it difficult to orientate myself at time with all the same
door types, carpets, cave walls etc. SS2 did well with signs and differing
'feels'; I still had to call up the map on occasion, but I generally had
an idea where I was. Again got to say that's something very nice with the
high draw distance in Fallout3 compared to Oblivion. Though the big
central city had a huge tower, the forests cut down the view, in F3 I can
see Tenpenny Tower or the Washington Monument and just know where I am as
I trapse along.

>>> And a novel way of doing things. Perhaps Mirror's Edge was inspired a
>>> bit by Portal.
>>  Conceptually perhaps,
>
> That's what I meant, yes. More a "puzzle of how to get there" than
> anything.

Which as I said they then screwed up by adding the gun-toters.

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com