POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game recommendations : Re: Game recommendations Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Game recommendations
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Feb 2009 14:06:29
Message: <4995c4b5$1@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook v2 wrote:
> the key is to have a variety of 'keypoints' you can recognise without
> disturbing the aesthetic.

Oh, it's not hard to do. Bafford's Manor is just all symmetric and stuff,
above and below ground. Once you start getting some stairs that lead up to a
dead end and some that lead down to the other side, you can easily get
turned around. Especially if you're trying to loot the whole place.

There are equally sprawling mansions you nevertheless get lost in even tho
places don't look the same, and there are places where it all looks the same
and you don't really get lost. I'm not real sure how one works the latter,
but things like the Lost City have maybe 3 textures for the whole level and
it's still easy to avoid getting lost, especially in T2.

Have you tried T2X, btw? Very well done.

>> I like getting games like that then going thru them on god mode, just
>> to see them. I don't imagine there's an effective god mode for
>> Mirror's Edge, tho.
>
> I don't know if it's the development engine or cycle, but I'm seeing a
> lot less cheats on the consoles.

I mean, it's kind of hard to cheat the "falling off buildings" kind of game.
:-)

> Kind of good in that without
> precautions you'd have cheaters knocking down the trophies/achievements,

You don't award achievements on any game where god mode is turned on, is
all. :-)  That's an old trick. (Kind of like how the multiplayer games won't
let you turn on god mode, even back in the Q2 days.)

>> Serious Sam is one I'd like to go thru on God mode, but it's not quite
>> cheap enough yet. Talk about beautiful sets...
>
> Which one?

Which one what? Which set? They're all beautiful. (Visually speaking, I
mean.  No idea about the actual gameplay.)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"