POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game recommendations : Re: Game recommendations Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:21:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Game recommendations
From: Phil Cook v2
Date: 16 Feb 2009 04:23:54
Message: <op.upftqdq9mn4jds@phils>
And lo On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 19:06:25 -0000, Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom>
did spake thusly:

> Phil Cook v2 wrote:
>> the key is to have a variety of 'keypoints' you can recognise without
>> disturbing the aesthetic.
>
> Oh, it's not hard to do. Bafford's Manor is just all symmetric and
> stuff, above and below ground. Once you start getting some stairs that
> lead up to a dead end and some that lead down to the other side, you can
> easily get turned around. Especially if you're trying to loot the whole
> place.
>
> There are equally sprawling mansions you nevertheless get lost in even
> tho places don't look the same, and there are places where it all looks
> the same and you don't really get lost. I'm not real sure how one works
> the latter, but things like the Lost City have maybe 3 textures for the
> whole level and it's still easy to avoid getting lost, especially in T2.

Well as I said objects and positions pay a part, and as you say the manor
was symmetrical and if I recall the theatre was a pain.

Yesterday morning I was creeping through Roosevelt Academy in F3 -
corridors, side-rooms, and lockers; no problem. Even on the third floor I
could relate my position thanks to the collapsed floors/ceilings that
allowed me to spot a landmark above or below me.

> Have you tried T2X, btw? Very well done.

I have and it was, though it was a while ago - recall I dug out my notes
to give you a hand.

>>> I like getting games like that then going thru them on god mode, just
>>> to see them. I don't imagine there's an effective god mode for
>>> Mirror's Edge, tho.
>>  I don't know if it's the development engine or cycle, but I'm seeing a
>> lot less cheats on the consoles.
>
> I mean, it's kind of hard to cheat the "falling off buildings" kind of
> game. :-)

Heh indeed though a 'not getting shot' or 'turn off enemy AI' would be
nice.

>> Kind of good in that without precautions you'd have cheaters knocking
>> down the trophies/achievements,
>
> You don't award achievements on any game where god mode is turned on, is
> all. :-)  That's an old trick. (Kind of like how the multiplayer games
> won't let you turn on god mode, even back in the Q2 days.

Turn on god mode; battle your way to the achievement point; turn off god
mode; you'd have to store a 'god mode' bit in both the game and save file.
So I mean it's possible, just hassle.

>>> Serious Sam is one I'd like to go thru on God mode, but it's not quite
>>> cheap enough yet. Talk about beautiful sets...
>>  Which one?
>
> Which one what? Which set? They're all beautiful. (Visually speaking, I
> mean.  No idea about the actual gameplay.)

I meant which Serious Sam?

--
Phil Cook

http://flipc.blogspot.com