POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Game recommendations : Re: Game recommendations Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:17:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Game recommendations
From: Darren New
Date: 11 Feb 2009 13:55:11
Message: <49931f0f$1@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook v2 wrote:
> It's also nice to be able to pick your career path, helps replayability.

Career path? You mean like what skills you learn and what upgrades you pick?
Yeah, that's good too. I see that in Deus Ex and Bioshock too.

Thief, it's mostly a matter of "I wonder if I can do it this way..." more
than "let's start over and play it differently."   Altho you can try it like
"let's go thru and not ever get seen by anyone ever", or "let's do it and
inflict no damage anywhere" (which is a heck of a lot harder).

> halt at an invisble wall.

Yeah, exactly the wrong answer.

Like Gorden Frohman said, "A locked door? He has a rocket launcher!"

> Ditto, I found it difficult to orientate myself at time with all the
> same door types, carpets, cave walls etc.

I never got lost in the caves or outdoors. Just in the buildings, mostly the
square ones. The prison at least had signposts.

> view, in F3 I can see Tenpenny Tower or the Washington Monument and just
> know where I am as I trapse along.

In Thief3, Garret even says you can see the clocktower from anywhere in the
city and it makes a great landmark, but you can stand 30 feet away and not
be able to figure out that thing's the clocktower. :-)

>>>  Conceptually perhaps,
>>
>> That's what I meant, yes. More a "puzzle of how to get there" than
>> anything.
>
> Which as I said they then screwed up by adding the gun-toters.

Yeah, I saw that. Well, I guess they figured it needed the action or
something. Maybe some day when it's in the $5 bin I'll buy it. I like
getting games like that then going thru them on god mode, just to see them.
I don't imagine there's an effective god mode for Mirror's Edge, tho.

Serious Sam is one I'd like to go thru on God mode, but it's not quite cheap
enough yet. Talk about beautiful sets...

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Ouch ouch ouch!"