POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Noobulation! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Noobulation! (Message 21 to 30 of 140)
From: Orchid XP v8
Subject: Re: Conjugation
Date: 12 Jan 2009 15:32:40
Message: <496ba8e8$1@news.povray.org>
>> The thing is, the guys I'm looking at seemingly have a stack of
>> graduate opportunities, all slightly different. I can't see one
>> specific job in their list where I tick *all* of the boxes. But given
>> that I'm the sort of nutcase who is likely to open up Wikipedia and
>> learn about active power factor correction JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT (!),
>
> Well you are also the kind of guy that is *in* wikipedia, not many
> people that will apply for a job there can say that.

Mmm, really?

> Actually... perhaps better if you don't mention it.

Well, I don't know. The whole "I'm so damned bored with swapping tapes
over that I spend all day surfing the net" kinda points out that my
skills are currently vastly under-utilised. OTOH, suggested that I get
bored easily and am inclined to do stuff I'm not supposed to be doing is
probably not a good idea... On balance, I'm unsure which side wins.

> Or, the internet being what it is, shall
> we promote you to a full article including some remarks that may even
> help you in getting a job? We do have stuff enough I would say ;)

LOL! Yes, people of POV-Ray, get me hired!!eleven!

(Let's face it, the chances of you getting me laid are way smaller...)

>> Now, how the **** do I tell them that? (Especially given that they
>> seem to want you to apply using an online application process where
>> you specify a specific job you're applying for, and there doesn't seem
>> to be a way to contact a human about this.) I think if I could just
>> persuade them to interview me and talk to me, they could probably find
>> something useful to employ me for. But how?
>
> You apply for just one of the jobs, preferable one that might suit you,
> and during the interview they will find out which one actually does fit.
>  If there is a lot of jobs open they will in every interview consider
> all jobs.

Is that how the game works? Hmm...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>>> The thing is, the guys I'm looking at seemingly have a stack of
>>> graduate opportunities, all slightly different. I can't see one
>>> specific job in their list where I tick *all* of the boxes. But given
>>> that I'm the sort of nutcase who is likely to open up Wikipedia and
>>> learn about active power factor correction JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT (!),
>>
>> Well you are also the kind of guy that is *in* wikipedia, not many
>> people that will apply for a job there can say that.
>
> Mmm, really?

yip

>> Actually... perhaps better if you don't mention it.
>
> Well, I don't know. The whole "I'm so damned bored with swapping tapes
> over that I spend all day surfing the net" kinda points out that my
> skills are currently vastly under-utilised. OTOH, suggested that I get
> bored easily and am inclined to do stuff I'm not supposed to be doing is
> probably not a good idea... On balance, I'm unsure which side wins.

Luckily it does not tell that.

>> Or, the internet being what it is, shall we promote you to a full
>> article including some remarks that may even help you in getting a
>> job? We do have stuff enough I would say ;)
>
> LOL! Yes, people of POV-Ray, get me hired!!eleven!
>
> (Let's face it, the chances of you getting me laid are way smaller...)

I don't think I'll take on that bet. We do have this problem of you
having only a BSc while with your capacities and sort of job you are
looking for it should have been an MSc (at least here in academia). If
you ever find another job, look good at the options for study they
offer. (And if I find one for you, you may be assured that we will have
a heavy training program included. It is not as if you have anything to
do at night anyway)

>>> Now, how the **** do I tell them that? (Especially given that they
>>> seem to want you to apply using an online application process where
>>> you specify a specific job you're applying for, and there doesn't
>>> seem to be a way to contact a human about this.) I think if I could
>>> just persuade them to interview me and talk to me, they could
>>> probably find something useful to employ me for. But how?
>>
>> You apply for just one of the jobs, preferable one that might suit
>> you, and during the interview they will find out which one actually
>> does fit.  If there is a lot of jobs open they will in every interview
>> consider all jobs.
>
> Is that how the game works? Hmm...

yes.

Post a reply to this message

>> LOL! Yes, people of POV-Ray, get me hired!!eleven!
>>
>> (Let's face it, the chances of you getting me laid are way smaller...)
>
> I don't think I'll take on that bet. We do have this problem of you
> having only a BSc while with your capacities and sort of job you are
> looking for it should have been an MSc (at least here in academia). If
> you ever find another job, look good at the options for study they
> offer. (And if I find one for you, you may be assured that we will have
> a heavy training program included. It is not as if you have anything to
> do at night anyway)

The position(s) I'm looking at specifically say "BSc 2:1 or higher",
which is exactly what I have. They're specifically graduate-level
positions. (If anything, my sister thinks that because I haven't
*recently* graduated, they might not be interested.)

>>> You apply for just one of the jobs, preferable one that might suit
>>> you, and during the interview they will find out which one actually
>>> does fit.  If there is a lot of jobs open they will in every
>>> interview consider all jobs.
>>
>> Is that how the game works? Hmm...
>
> yes.

Heh. Well I guess I'd better get on with it then! :-S

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/

>>> LOL! Yes, people of POV-Ray, get me hired!!eleven!
>>>
>>> (Let's face it, the chances of you getting me laid are way smaller...)
>>
>> I don't think I'll take on that bet. We do have this problem of you
>> having only a BSc while with your capacities and sort of job you are
>> looking for it should have been an MSc (at least here in academia). If
>> you ever find another job, look good at the options for study they
>> offer. (And if I find one for you, you may be assured that we will
>> have a heavy training program included. It is not as if you have
>> anything to do at night anyway)
>
> The position(s) I'm looking at specifically say "BSc 2:1 or higher",
> which is exactly what I have. They're specifically graduate-level
> positions. (If anything, my sister thinks that because I haven't
> *recently* graduated, they might not be interested.)

Or they might find out that you are actually slightly better than that*
because you have experience and the right stare of mind (in contrast to
dull business informatics guys). I think you're sister wants you to be
stuck in that miserable job forever, don't listen to her. ;)

*) remember, I assumed you had at least an MSc from what I knew you had
been doing in your free time.

Post a reply to this message

>> The position(s) I'm looking at specifically say "BSc 2:1 or higher",
>> which is exactly what I have. They're specifically graduate-level
>> positions. (If anything, my sister thinks that because I haven't
>> *recently* graduated, they might not be interested.)
>
> Or they might find out that you are actually slightly better than that*
> because you have experience and the right stare of mind (in contrast to
> dull business informatics guys).

Only if I can get through the door.

So far in my jobsearch, I have only been to one single interview. And
the interviewer appeared to be attempting to invent a reason to hire me
during the interview. o_O That being the case, if I can persuade them to
talk to me, I figure I've got a shot...

> I think you're sister wants you to be
> stuck in that miserable job forever, don't listen to her. ;)

Nah. I think she's just warning me that "graduate recruitment schemes"
might be closed to me at this point. But we'll see.

> *) remember, I assumed you had at least an MSc from what I knew you had
> been doing in your free time.

My sister really *does* have an MSc in Chemistry. She's now studying to
be an accountant. (WTF?)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/