POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Noobulation! : Re: Conjugation Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Conjugation
From: triple r
Date: 12 Jan 2009 21:05:01
Message: <web.496bf5c982ae4367ef2b9ba40@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> The thing is, the guys I'm looking at seemingly have a stack of graduate
> opportunities, all slightly different. I can't see one specific job in
> their list where I tick *all* of the boxes. But given that I'm the sort
> of nutcase who is likely to open up Wikipedia and learn about active
> power factor correction JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT (!), it would seem that
> I would be emminently suited to these kinds of jobs - even if I don't
> know all the necessary theory right this second. I have the power to
> learn it, and that surely is what counts.
>
> Now, how the **** do I tell them that? (Especially given that they seem
> to want you to apply using an online application process where you
> specify a specific job you're applying for, and there doesn't seem to be
> a way to contact a human about this.) I think if I could just persuade
> them to interview me and talk to me, they could probably find something
> useful to employ me for. But how?

Cover letter.

If you can convey this kind of enthusiasm through that, it's a big step toward
being noticed.  Look online for examples.  Find a way to relate your enthusiasm
for learning and problem solving to their needs as a company.  I just sent a
cover letter and resume to a company with one posting for an electrical
engineer (not me!).  Since it didn't apply, I circumvented the website system
and send it directly to HR, thinking it would surely disappear into the void.
Instead, I'll get my chance to talk with them tomorrow morning.  The point is
that no matter what, the worst they can do is to ignore you, and the best they
can do is to hire you (OK, not strictly true, but let's be reasonable here).

 - Ricky