POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Reg- Scene/ Object Reflectivity pattern calculation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:24:38 EDT (-0400)
  Reg- Scene/ Object Reflectivity pattern calculation (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Mahadeesh
Subject: Reg- Scene/ Object Reflectivity pattern calculation
Date: 22 Mar 2013 00:40:01
Message: <web.514bdff1b201cdecf0688a760@news.povray.org>
I'm doing Simulation of Synthetic Aperture Radar( SAR )Mode/(Microwave Imaging).

I came to through POV in one of the IEEE research paper and I thought it would
be useful for me. There is one segment in my project is scene object
reflectivity pattern calculation say the object can be building or car or tree
etc...

How to calculate the reflectivity pattern using any of the Electromagnetic
Imaging Algorithm like Ray Tracing Method / Physical Optics(PO) Method. I
suppose that POV can help me on that. It would be very helpful, if i get any
sort of suggestion from this group. At least let me know if my understanding is
correct or not ?

Thanks

Post a reply to this message

You probably need to specify in more detail what you mean by
reflectivity pattern.

Also, you should be aware that povray can only give you estimates
on the intensity of reflected light based on simple geometric models,
in particular not taking into account effects like interference. This
may limit the usefulness for simulating longer wavelengths.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm doing Simulation of Synthetic Aperture Radar( SAR )Mode/(Microwave Imaging).
>
> I came to through POV in one of the IEEE research paper and I thought it would
> be useful for me. There is one segment in my project is scene object
> reflectivity pattern calculation say the object can be building or car or tree
> etc...
>
> How to calculate the reflectivity pattern using any of the Electromagnetic
> Imaging Algorithm like Ray Tracing Method / Physical Optics(PO) Method. I
> suppose that POV can help me on that. It would be very helpful, if i get any
> sort of suggestion from this group. At least let me know if my understanding is
> correct or not ?
>
> Thanks

You can not simulate any interference pattern from several sources or
reflective objects. The best you can get is thin film irisation. A very
narow slit can't show anything but a sharp pattern. Those are crutial
for any SAR.

For the visible spectrum, you can add some reflection in the finish of
your objects. Metals have prety uniform reflectivity, but other
materials normaly have variable reflection.

Post a reply to this message