POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Reg- Scene/ Object Reflectivity pattern calculation : Re: Reg- Scene/ Object Reflectivity pattern calculation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reg- Scene/ Object Reflectivity pattern calculation
From: Mahadeesh
Date: 2 Apr 2013 08:25:00
Message: <web.515acd0c8779cae0f0688a760@news.povray.org>
> You probably need to specify in more detail what you mean by
> reflectivity pattern.
>
> Also, you should be aware that povray can only give you estimates
> on the intensity of reflected light based on simple geometric models,
> in particular not taking into account effects like interference. This
> may limit the usefulness for simulating longer wavelengths.

Hello,

I mean here by reflectivity map is that the target scattering ability i.e.
Electromagnetic scattering of the object. Photographic images that contain only

both the amplitude and the phase information of the scattered EM field from the
scene. But it is very adruous to exactly  simulate scattering of EM field for
each object in the scene.

Hence Im thinking of using POV for giving the values of reflected light
intensity of any scene which is equivalent to reflectivity property of each
object of the scene( may be an approximation I can say).  Presently,Im not
interested in interference effects which will potentially complicate the problem
of SAR image formation.

This an sample SAR image :
https://www.google.co.in/search?q=SAR+image&hl=en&client=ubuntu&hs=bEM&channel=fs&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Us
xaUZHQMcSIrQebm4GgDA&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1067&bih=713#hl=en&client=ubuntu&hs=cZ1&channel=fs&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=synethetic+ape
rture+radar+image+&oq=synethetic+aperture+radar+image+&gs_l=img.3...14733.26980.4.27340.34.31.3.0.0.0.154.2713.29j2.31.
0...0.0...1c.1.8.img.j2PiLVDb-G4&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44697112,d.bmk&fp=9cd1c99b78ac4f1a&biw=1067&bih=713&imgrc=kuh
ug3D1KiKnvM%3A%3BhL2JrnPfbrQReM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.sandia.gov%252FRADAR%252Fimages%252Fcapitol.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%25
2F%252Fwww.sandia.gov%252FRADAR%252Fimageryku.html%3B1200%3B800

You can note in the image that there are bright spots which is outcome of the
material property and surface. For example, the metal objects will reflect more
when compared with others. Similarily any sharp edges in the building will
produce more bounce effect which makes the spot brighter.

Also note the showdows in the SAR image. These are very much useful in many
remote sensing applications.Finally my intention is to form an SAR image as
shown in the example. Hence complete image generation depends on the
Reflectivity property of the objects in the scene.

Please revert back to me for any sort of question regarding the work.

Regards,