POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Reg- Scene/ Object Reflectivity pattern calculation : Re: Reg- Scene/ Object Reflectivity pattern calculation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:33:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reg- Scene/ Object Reflectivity pattern calculation
From: Mahadeesh
Date: 2 Apr 2013 08:30:00
Message: <web.515ace328779cae0f0688a760@news.povray.org>
Alain <kua### [at] videotronca> wrote:

> > I'm doing Simulation of Synthetic Aperture Radar( SAR )Mode/(Microwave Imaging).
> >
> > I came to through POV in one of the IEEE research paper and I thought it would
> > be useful for me. There is one segment in my project is scene object
> > reflectivity pattern calculation say the object can be building or car or tree
> > etc...
> >
> > How to calculate the reflectivity pattern using any of the Electromagnetic
> > Imaging Algorithm like Ray Tracing Method / Physical Optics(PO) Method. I
> > suppose that POV can help me on that. It would be very helpful, if i get any
> > sort of suggestion from this group. At least let me know if my understanding is
> > correct or not ?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> You can not simulate any interference pattern from several sources or
> reflective objects. The best you can get is thin film irisation. A very
> narow slit can't show anything but a sharp pattern. Those are crutial
> for any SAR.
>
> For the visible spectrum, you can add some reflection in the finish of
> your objects. Metals have prety uniform reflectivity, but other
> materials normaly have variable reflection.

Hello,

Thanks for replying to my mail. I would like to tell you that, presently im not
looking at interference pattern.

Im planning to generate reflectivity map of any object in the scene. As you
said, it depends on the material property. So we cant simulate each and every
object on the scene to get exact reflectivity property. Hence we have to come to
an approximate method for reflectivity pattern of the Object. Can POV help me on
that ?

Can you please tell me how to add the reflectivity property of the object at its
finish as you mentioned earlier in the scene ? Because adding these values can
improve the final SAR image generation.Also is it possible extract those
reflectivity values from any RGB image ?

I have given sample SAR image for you reference.

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=SAR+image&hl=en&client=ubuntu&hs=bEM&channel=fs&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Us
xaUZHQMcSIrQebm4GgDA&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1067&bih=713#hl=en&client=ubuntu&hs=cZ1&channel=fs&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=synethetic+ape
rture+radar+image+&oq=synethetic+aperture+radar+image+&gs_l=img.3...14733.26980.4.27340.34.31.3.0.0.0.154.2713.29j2.31.
0...0.0...1c.1.8.img.j2PiLVDb-G4&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.44697112,d.bmk&fp=9cd1c99b78ac4f1a&biw=1067&bih=713&imgrc=kuh
ug3D1KiKnvM%3A%3BhL2JrnPfbrQReM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.sandia.gov%252FRADAR%252Fimages%252Fcapitol.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%25
2F%252Fwww.sandia.gov%252FRADAR%252Fimageryku.html%3B1200%3B800

Please let me know if you need more details for my side. Thanks once again.

Regards,