POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : translating a texture Server Time
8 Aug 2024 06:21:15 EDT (-0400)
  translating a texture (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Sander
Subject: translating a texture
Date: 28 Feb 2001 12:11:55
Message: <MPG.15074fbd5058b2529896f3@NEWS.POVRAY.ORG>
Is it to be expected that translating a texture (e.g. T_Col_Marble) to
extreme values, like 25000, gives results that differ very much from the
non-translated texture? Even for discontinuities to appear in the
texture, i.e. sharp boundaries between areas?? Is there a limit one
should not cross??? I could give examples of what I get...
Thank you old hands for helping me :)
--
Regards,  Sander

Post a reply to this message

> Is it to be expected that translating a texture (e.g. T_Col_Marble) to
> extreme values, like 25000, gives results that differ very much from the
> non-translated texture? Even for discontinuities to appear in the
> texture, i.e. sharp boundaries between areas?? Is there a limit one
> should not cross??? I could give examples of what I get...
> Thank you old hands for helping me :)

I wouldn't think so, though some textures, such as spiral and wood wouldn't
be very interesting in those extremes.  Do you have examples where this
occurs?

Geoff

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:12:12 +0100, Sander wrote:
>Is it to be expected that translating a texture (e.g. T_Col_Marble) to
>extreme values, like 25000, gives results that differ very much from the
>non-translated texture? Even for discontinuities to appear in the
>texture, i.e. sharp boundaries between areas?? Is there a limit one
>should not cross??? I could give examples of what I get...
>Thank you old hands for helping me :)

Yes, there are some problems in the noise function out that far.  There's no
hard limit, but the quality of the function deteriorates sharply past around
10000 or so.

My opinions.  Mine.  Not anyone else's.

Post a reply to this message

> Is it to be expected that translating a texture (e.g. T_Col_Marble) to
> extreme values, like 25000, gives results that differ very much from the
> non-translated texture? Even for discontinuities to appear in the
> texture, i.e. sharp boundaries between areas?? Is there a limit one
> should not cross??? I could give examples of what I get...
> Thank you old hands for helping me :)

Yes, this is a known problem with patterns using the noise function in POV <=3.1
See thread "Bug in noise function" in povray.bugreports (dated 25.08.99) for a
short discussion.

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee