POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Speaking of 3DS Max... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 03:24:41 EDT (-0400)
  Speaking of 3DS Max... (Message 1 to 10 of 31)
From: Doug Eichenberg
Subject: Speaking of 3DS Max...
Date: 7 Aug 2000 20:01:11
Message: <398f4dc7@news.povray.org>
I haven't use 3DSMax yet, so I'm not sure about this...
but my understanding is that 3DSMax is not actually
a raytracer.  Supposedly it's something called a
scanline renderer?  Anyone know the difference?
Would that account for the difference in rendering
times between it and POV?

--
Doug Eichenberg
http://www.nls.net/douge

Post a reply to this message

> I haven't use 3DSMax yet, so I'm not sure about this...
> but my understanding is that 3DSMax is not actually
> a raytracer.  Supposedly it's something called a
> scanline renderer?  Anyone know the difference?

As far as I know, it is a hybrid renderer. It uses scanline techniques
for basic rendering, but can use raytracing to get accurate reflection
and refraction.

> Would that account for the difference in rendering
> times between it and POV?

Yes.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message