POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Speaking of 3DS Max... : Re: Speaking of 3DS Max... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:07:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speaking of 3DS Max...
From: Lance Birch
Date: 8 Aug 2000 01:30:37
Message: <398f9afd@news.povray.org>
> to. I'm sure that in *most* cases POV has the potential to outmatch
3DSMax, in
> terms of overall rendering quality and accuracy.

Another very bold statement.  I think you'd be very surprised with the
results if you used MAX, its scanline renderer produces amazing results,
especially with the new types of surface shaders and antialiasing effects
(such as alias-soften).

Its raytracer, while usually being a lot slower than POV-Ray (in R2.5
anyway, MAX R3 is a lot better) easily equals the quality of output of
POV-Ray.  It's really the user that makes the difference, i.e. there are
some very bad MAX users (who usually aren't that serious and don't own the
product) but there are also some very good and skilled users.  A little like
with Maya.

--
Lance

The Zone