POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Speaking of 3DS Max... : Re: Speaking of 3DS Max... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:06:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speaking of 3DS Max...
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 7 Aug 2000 22:10:33
Message: <398F5E13.3AA16176@peak.edu.ee>
Doug Eichenberg wrote:

> I haven't use 3DSMax yet, so I'm not sure about this...
> but my understanding is that 3DSMax is not actually
> a raytracer.  Supposedly it's something called a
> scanline renderer?  Anyone know the difference?
> Would that account for the difference in rendering
> times between it and POV?

Like the others said, it's a hybrid renderer. It is pretty handy to have a fast
scanline engine for rendering animations, but an option to use the slower
raytracing engine for some effects.
There are also other renderers that plug in to Max, if you can deal out the
extra $$$. I have seen very little of them in action, though.

--
Margus Ramst

Personal e-mail: mar### [at] peakeduee