POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Speaking of 3DS Max... : Re: Speaking of 3DS Max... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:00:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speaking of 3DS Max...
From: Fabien Hénon
Date: 7 Aug 2000 21:45:28
Message: <398F667B.455CC3A6@club-internet.fr>
I have had the opportunity to put my hands on it.
It uses raytracing when it comes to reflection and refraction *IF* you
apply real raytracing properties to the objects in the scene.
Like 3DS, it can fake reflection and thus becomes a mere scanliner.
As for the render times, 3DSMAX is slower to POV when refracting. If you
avoid raytracing features, it can be very fast.
One thing though, it is a memory hog. Don't expect to make it work
properly with 64 Mo.

You can model easily virtually anything you like with it, but in my
opinion the 3DSMAX renders do not match the quality of POV.

Fabien