POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Speaking of 3DS Max... : Re: Speaking of 3DS Max... Server Time
9 Aug 2024 09:09:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speaking of 3DS Max...
From: David Fontaine
Date: 8 Aug 2000 01:59:39
Message: <398F9FCD.F50E1D3B@faricy.net>
Doug Eichenberg wrote:

> > You can model easily virtually anything you like with it, but in my
> > opinion the 3DSMAX renders do not match the quality of POV.
>
> That's a bold statement Fabien!  I've seen some very impressive stuff
> from 3DSMax (and it better be good for what they charge).  Of course,
> I've seen some great POV stuff too...

Interesting... all 6 winners of the March-April 2000 IRTC (The City) were
made wiht POV! "Eat my dust, 3DSMax users!" POV-Ray probably has a much
worse learning curve than 3DSMax, but used properly, POV has the
potential to create much nicer images, especially with MegaPOV and the
hopefully soon coming POV 3.5/4.0. What irks me is the people who pirate
the full-features rendering suites and think they're so great after they
model some dippy object, when the modeller did most of it for them and
they don't even own the thing! Well I'm sorry but any idiot can model
dippy objects in Rhino and then stick in a lighting macro and render it
with 3DS, and make it look like it comes naturally to them...

Hey, wait, it's "Internet Raytracing Competition", not "Internet Scanline
Competetion"! They've been cheating!

--
David Fontaine     <dav### [at] faricynet>     ICQ 55354965
Please visit my website: http://www.faricy.net/~davidf/