POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : attn: pov programmers Server Time
9 Aug 2024 19:39:17 EDT (-0400)
  attn: pov programmers (Message 1 to 10 of 21)
From: ryan constantine
Subject: attn: pov programmers
Date: 16 Jul 2000 16:45:53
Message: <39721EB9.554BD97C@yahoo.com>
looking at the docs, i see that a cylindrical camera makes an image of
the outside of the cylinder, which presumably has no radius.  what i
would like to do is specify a radius (in order to envelope objects) and
then create the image based on the inside of the cylinder.  this (i
think) would have the effect of "unrolling" the object into two
dimensions, ready to be used as a template for image maps, bumpmaps, or
image pattern maps and could be rolled back onto the object using
cylindical mapping.  this would eliminate the need to divide a model
into two halves and then use planar image mapping as was done, for
example, in h.e. day's raptor model.  a spherical cam that could also do
this would be similarly useful.  would this be difficult to implement?
do others think this would be useful?

Post a reply to this message

First, try using the sphere_camera (spherical_camera) in MegaPOV.  To quote
from the docs, '...If you render an image with a 2:1 aspect ratio and map it to
a sphere using spherical mapping, it will recreate the scene!'

Secondly, if you're working with meshes, try using Steve Cox's UV Mapper:
http://home.pb.net/~stevecox/uvmapper.htm

Gilles Tran has a very helpful tutorial for working with it here:
http://www.mediaport.net/Artichaud/Tran/sources/tutuve.htm

Hope this helps...