POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : attn: pov programmers : Re: attn: pov programmers Server Time
9 Aug 2024 13:27:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: attn: pov programmers
From: Chris Huff
Date: 16 Jul 2000 18:11:42
Message: <chrishuff-F7528A.17121116072000@news.povray.org>
In article <39721EB9.554BD97C@yahoo.com>, ryan constantine
<rco### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> looking at the docs, i see that a cylindrical camera makes an image of
> the outside of the cylinder, which presumably has no radius.  what i
> would like to do is specify a radius (in order to envelope objects) and
> then create the image based on the inside of the cylinder.  this (i
> think) would have the effect of "unrolling" the object into two
> dimensions, ready to be used as a template for image maps, bumpmaps, or
> image pattern maps and could be rolled back onto the object using
> cylindical mapping.  this would eliminate the need to divide a model
> into two halves and then use planar image mapping as was done, for
> example, in h.e. day's raptor model.  a spherical cam that could also do
> this would be similarly useful.  would this be difficult to implement?
> do others think this would be useful?

This sort of "inside-out" camera should be fairly easy to do...though I
have never really looked at that portion of the code. I think an
"inverse_spherical" camera would be more useful than the cylinderical
version, since you could map the top and bottom at the same time as the
front and sides.
It wouldn't work with all objects, for example, objects with holes
running through them or parts overlapping each other, but it could be
useful for many cases.

TAG Web page: http://tag.povray.org/