POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ANNOUNCE: Subdivision Surface Suite! Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:13:41 EDT (-0400)
  ANNOUNCE: Subdivision Surface Suite! (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: John VanSickle
Subject: ANNOUNCE: Subdivision Surface Suite!
Date: 28 Aug 1999 16:55:07
Message: <37C84FE4.2C6A78C8@erols.com>
After much pondering, I have developed a suite of macros for working
with triangle meshes.  One of these macros will take a mesh of triangles
and calculate the smoothing normals required.  Another will perturb the
vertices of the mesh, making it rougher-looking.

However, the macro of interest is the divider, which takes a rough mesh
of large triangles and replaces it with a mesh of smaller triangles that
give a more curved appearance.  This process can be repeated, yielding
a fine mesh of triangles that simulate a large variety of curved
surfaces.  Its primary purpose is to allow a user to create a smooth
organic shape, containing many triangles, by defining a rougher mesh of
far fewer triangles, and refining that in an automated way.

The Subdivision Surface Suite (SSS) can be found at:

  http://users.erols.com/vansickl/sss.htm

Regards,
John
--
ICQ: 46085459

Post a reply to this message

> After much pondering, I have developed a suite of macros for working
> with triangle meshes.  One of these macros will take a mesh of triangles
> and calculate the smoothing normals required.  Another will perturb the
> vertices of the mesh, making it rougher-looking.
>
> However, the macro of interest is the divider, which takes a rough mesh
> of large triangles and replaces it with a mesh of smaller triangles that
> give a more curved appearance.  This process can be repeated, yielding
> a fine mesh of triangles that simulate a large variety of curved
> surfaces.  Its primary purpose is to allow a user to create a smooth
> organic shape, containing many triangles, by defining a rougher mesh of
> far fewer triangles, and refining that in an automated way.
>
> The Subdivision Surface Suite (SSS) can be found at:
>
>   http://users.erols.com/vansickl/sss.htm
>
> Regards,
> John
> --
> ICQ: 46085459

I can only say Wow to this. If this works as advertized this will be a very
powerfull addition to the toolbox of mesh users everywhere. I'm impressed
John and thank you for the early XMAS present !!!

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: