POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ANNOUNCE: Subdivision Surface Suite! : Re: ANNOUNCE: Subdivision Surface Suite! Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:12:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANNOUNCE: Subdivision Surface Suite!
From: Ken
Date: 29 Aug 1999 01:56:20
Message: <37C8CB4A.28812D1F@pacbell.net>
Lance Birch wrote:

> Very true, it seems that open source (kinda) programming works best and gets
> the good features in quickly.  I guess Linux is a good example of that.
>
> Luckily MAX comes with a lot of plug-ins (MeshSmooth as it's called, being
> one of them) that are for mesh manipulation, but also work on patches, NURBS
> (well not MeshSmooth because the meshes are handled internally in that
> case), etc etc.
>
> A feature that someone might consider making a macro for is an FFD (Free
> Form Deformation) box.  The basic idea is that it builds an imaginary box of
> verticies around an object and then as you move the vecticies it deforms the
> object it's attached to.  What do you think, possible with POV-Ray?
> (judging on all the cool mesh warps I've seen it should be)

> --
> Lance.

Colefax has written a mesh deformation macro utility though I haven't explored
it's possibilities yet. Another tool worth looking at external to Pov is one
called Elasticity and has some powerful features once you go through the learning
curve of using the program.

Elasticity:
http://www.flash.net/~drsledge/manual/manual.htm

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: