POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ANNOUNCE: Subdivision Surface Suite! : Re: ANNOUNCE: Subdivision Surface Suite! Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:12:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANNOUNCE: Subdivision Surface Suite!
From: Lance Birch
Date: 29 Aug 1999 01:45:02
Message: <37c8c8de@news.povray.org>
Very true, it seems that open source (kinda) programming works best and gets
the good features in quickly.  I guess Linux is a good example of that.

Luckily MAX comes with a lot of plug-ins (MeshSmooth as it's called, being
one of them) that are for mesh manipulation, but also work on patches, NURBS
(well not MeshSmooth because the meshes are handled internally in that
case), etc etc.

A feature that someone might consider making a macro for is an FFD (Free
Form Deformation) box.  The basic idea is that it builds an imaginary box of
verticies around an object and then as you move the vecticies it deforms the
object it's attached to.  What do you think, possible with POV-Ray?
(judging on all the cool mesh warps I've seen it should be)

If anyone's interested in making such a macro, here are the values that FFD
boxes use:

Falloff:  Adjusts the falloff of the effect of each vertex.  When 0, the
effect of each vertex is continuous (so distance doesn't matter).

Tension/Continuity:  Adjusts the tension and continuity of the deformation
splines (like the tension and continuity of a NURBS)

And of course the other standard ones you'd expect like number of divisions
on X, Y and Z.

*back to programming CGI*

--
Lance.

---
The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone
For a totally different experience, visit my Chroma Key Website:
Colorblind - http://listen.to/colorblind