POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ANNOUNCE: Subdivision Surface Suite! : Re: ANNOUNCE: Subdivision Surface Suite! Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:19:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ANNOUNCE: Subdivision Surface Suite!
From: Ken
Date: 29 Aug 1999 02:44:57
Message: <37C8D6AF.6EF71D6A@pacbell.net>
John VanSickle wrote:

> After much pondering, I have developed a suite of macros for working
> with triangle meshes.  One of these macros will take a mesh of triangles
> and calculate the smoothing normals required.  Another will perturb the
> vertices of the mesh, making it rougher-looking.
>
> However, the macro of interest is the divider, which takes a rough mesh
> of large triangles and replaces it with a mesh of smaller triangles that
> give a more curved appearance.  This process can be repeated, yielding
> a fine mesh of triangles that simulate a large variety of curved
> surfaces.  Its primary purpose is to allow a user to create a smooth
> organic shape, containing many triangles, by defining a rougher mesh of
> far fewer triangles, and refining that in an automated way.
>
> The Subdivision Surface Suite (SSS) can be found at:
>
>   http://users.erols.com/vansickl/sss.htm
>
> Regards,
> John
> --
> ICQ: 46085459

 One question John - Will your macros read in a file containing a triangle
mesh or is it currently resticted to meshes that are generated internaly
using functions for their creation ? If it is the latter would it be possible
to extend it's capabilities to indlude reading existing meshes ?

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: