POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Virtual Choreographer: script-based 3D animation / film annoucement Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:16:21 EDT (-0400)
  Virtual Choreographer: script-based 3D animation / film annoucement (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Christian Jacquemin
Subject: Virtual Choreographer: script-based 3D animation / film annoucement
Date: 12 Aug 2003 13:15:15
Message: <3F391F6E.1010601@limsi.fr>
Hi,

I have developped Virtual Choreographer a tool for designing 3D scenes
and exporting them to 2 formats: Renderman and PovRay. It can also
be used for making real-time aninations and plugged with Max (PureData,
JMax or Max/MSP) through UDP connections for synchronous real-time
image and audio synthesis.

The tool is still under development and I will distribute the
source code as soon as it reaches a relatively stable state.
I also need to write a detailed documentation. I currently
provide the Linux executable and all the scene description
files that were used to generate the film. I have also compiled
VC for MacOSX. It should be easily compiled on Windows as well
since it is C++/OpenGL.

The tool has been used to make a 5'30 film. The images were
rendered from the files generated by VC. The film compositing
and special effects have been made with AfterEffects.
Rendering time was relatively long (~ 4 months CPU), but I am
really happy with the quality of the images made by PovRay.
I just got one small problem with flat objects that were
ignored when they were seen from above almost vertically.

You will find more details on the tool and the film at :

http://www.limsi.fr/Individu/jacquemi/SCEINES/

I'll be happy to give more details if you are interested.

-Christian

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:10:06 +0200, Christian Jacquemin
<Chr### [at] limsifr> wrote:
> I have developped Virtual Choreographer a tool for designing 3D scenes
> and exporting them to 2 formats: Renderman and PovRay.

The idea sounds interesting but...

> The tool is still under development and I will distribute the
> source code as soon as it reaches a relatively stable state.

Releasing source code can only help you make it stable. People interested in
using it could help you.

> I also need to write a detailed documentation. I currently
> provide the Linux executable and all the scene description
> files that were used to generate the film. I have also compiled
> VC for MacOSX. It should be easily compiled on Windows as well
> since it is C++/OpenGL.

Hard to be compiled for Windows without sources :-)

> The tool has been used to make a 5'30 film.

The first impression I had is that it is artistic vision of building process
of opera in Sidney ;-)

> The images were
> rendered from the files generated by VC. The film compositing
> and special effects have been made with AfterEffects.

I think that your webpage should contain _raw_ output of your tool. Otherwise
it is hard to say anything about achieved quality.

> Rendering time was relatively long (~ 4 months CPU), but I am
> really happy with the quality of the images made by PovRay.

I think you should investigate a lot in understanding "how to achieve
effective rendering with POV-Ray". For example animation round in IRTC takes 3
months for thinking, designing, scripting, rendering.

> I just got one small problem with flat objects that were
> ignored when they were seen from above almost vertically.
>
>You will find more details on the tool and the film at :
>
> http://www.limsi.fr/Individu/jacquemi/SCEINES/

What resoulution did you used designing this page? Your frames are not
user-friedly under 1024x768 at all.

> I'll be happy to give more details if you are interested.

That would be always welcome. I'm looking forward for info about progress of
this project.

ABX

Post a reply to this message

> Releasing source code can only help you make it stable. People interested in
> using it could help you.
> I think that your webpage should contain _raw_ output of your tool. Otherwise
> it is hard to say anything about achieved quality.

Following your idea, I'll make the source code and sample POVray files
available quicker than I first intended to.

>>Rendering time was relatively long (~ 4 months CPU), but I am
>>really happy with the quality of the images made by PovRay.
>>

> I think you should investigate a lot in understanding "how to achieve
> effective rendering with POV-Ray". For example animation round in IRTC takes 3
> months for thinking, designing, scripting, rendering.

This was not my primary purpose. I have used transparency and/or
reflection for most objects which finally resulted in long
rendering times. I admitt that I could have spend more time
in making rendering more efficient. This was not an important
issue for this film.

> What resoulution did you used designing this page? Your frames are not
> user-friedly under 1024x768 at all.

You are right. I usually manage better my display!

> That would be always welcome. I'm looking forward for info about progress of
> this project.

I'll send another mail when I make source code and PovRay outputs
available. Probably not before mid-september since I'm leaving
for vacations tomorrow.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

-Christian

Post a reply to this message