POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Virtual Choreographer: script-based 3D animation / film annoucement : Re: Virtual Choreographer: script-based 3D animation / film annoucement Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:21:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Virtual Choreographer: script-based 3D animation / film annoucement
From: ABX
Date: 12 Aug 2003 13:42:53
Message: <2l8ijv8ac6snaojs1ka6p2q9q6t2ea4us1@4ax.com>
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 19:10:06 +0200, Christian Jacquemin
<Chr### [at] limsifr> wrote:
> I have developped Virtual Choreographer a tool for designing 3D scenes
> and exporting them to 2 formats: Renderman and PovRay.

The idea sounds interesting but...

> The tool is still under development and I will distribute the
> source code as soon as it reaches a relatively stable state.

Releasing source code can only help you make it stable. People interested in
using it could help you.

> I also need to write a detailed documentation. I currently
> provide the Linux executable and all the scene description
> files that were used to generate the film. I have also compiled
> VC for MacOSX. It should be easily compiled on Windows as well
> since it is C++/OpenGL.

Hard to be compiled for Windows without sources :-)

> The tool has been used to make a 5'30 film.

The first impression I had is that it is artistic vision of building process
of opera in Sidney ;-)

> The images were
> rendered from the files generated by VC. The film compositing
> and special effects have been made with AfterEffects.

I think that your webpage should contain _raw_ output of your tool. Otherwise
it is hard to say anything about achieved quality.

> Rendering time was relatively long (~ 4 months CPU), but I am
> really happy with the quality of the images made by PovRay.

I think you should investigate a lot in understanding "how to achieve
effective rendering with POV-Ray". For example animation round in IRTC takes 3
months for thinking, designing, scripting, rendering.

> I just got one small problem with flat objects that were
> ignored when they were seen from above almost vertically.
>
>You will find more details on the tool and the film at :
>
> http://www.limsi.fr/Individu/jacquemi/SCEINES/

What resoulution did you used designing this page? Your frames are not
user-friedly under 1024x768 at all.

> I'll be happy to give more details if you are interested.

That would be always welcome. I'm looking forward for info about progress of
this project.

ABX