POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Re: Stupid mistakes Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:31:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stupid mistakes (Message 1 to 10 of 21)
From: Andrea Ryan
Subject: Re: Stupid mistakes
Date: 8 Oct 1999 19:06:38
Message: <37FE780B.1477743F@global2000.net>
Sometimes, when I close the render window, the POV-Ray window becomes minimized.
Brendan Ryan

Remco de Korte wrote:

> I know it's my own stupid fault and yet...
>
> I've lost hours, if not days of work by some peculiarities of the
> Windows-version of POV-Ray. First: if you load or saev a file from the editor
> the program sometimes looses focus. Another program that's running will suddenly
> come on top. I often run more then one instance of POV-Ray to do some tests in
> the background (it's even worse then that but that's not the point now). So,
> every once in a while I end up with another POV-window in front of me without
> noticing it right away. That's confusing, especially if a scene I was working on
> suddenly seems to be rendering (or not) while I didn't expect it too. So I take
> the appropriate (miss)steps.
> Second: I truely wish POV-Ray, or at least the Windows version, would support
> long filenames in the output of animations. I'd like to give my scenes more or
> less meaningfull names, with a trailing letter or number to identify the
> version. On rendering it as an animation POV-Ray truncates the name (without
> prompting) and overwrites any previous version. I've had that happen more then
> once now, often enough to write this message.
> Please understand: I'm just whining, while I think POV-Ray is the best there
> ever was when it comes to software. I use it intensely (intensively?) and not
> (anymore) just because it's free. I'm no C-programmer, otherwise I would have
> tried to patch these things. BTW: is there a patch that solves this? Does the
> SuperPatch? I have it downloaded but still didn't come round to trying it (too
> busy with the original :)).
>
> Regards,
>
> Remco

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob Hughes
Date: 9 Oct 1999 03:42:33
Message: <37fef1e9@news.povray.org>
Remco de Korte <rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote in message
>  I use it intensely (intensively?)

[extensively] would be the correct word I believe.

>  is there a patch that solves this? Does the
> SuperPatch? I have it downloaded but still didn't come round to trying it
(too
> busy with the original :)).

If there is I'd use it, if I could break the habit of naming files with the
8.3 convention enough anyway.  I do have many files named with long file
names now, even with spaces in them, and POV for Win seems fine for just the
pov and inc scripts.  The short names is so deeply embedded in my psyche
it's tough to bypass.  I guess another thing to consider is what animation
programs also accept the long file (Joliet?) names.

Bob

Post a reply to this message