POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : How do I stop an image map from going all the way through an object? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:28:10 EDT (-0400)
  How do I stop an image map from going all the way through an object? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Brian Mason
Subject: How do I stop an image map from going all the way through an object?
Date: 27 Jun 1999 20:03:05
Message: <3776BACD.F29@gvn.net>
Good morning,

I am working on a model of the Fantastic Four rocket that was used in
the 60's cartoon.  I have made the model and am happy with it.  I am now
trying to put the '4' decal on the nose cone.  I have an image map of
the 4 and have placed it in the correct position.  When I move the
camera to the other side of the nose, however, the image is shonw as
reversed.  I have searched this newsgroup on image maps and found out
how to make a cube with 6 different maps on all of the faces.  I would
like to know how to keep this one map from bleeding through to the other
side.  I need to put the same image on the other side in the correct
orientation.

Attached is a picture of the front and back of the cone.  Any help would
be greatly appreciated.

Brian Mason
bri### [at] gvnnet
http://www.gvn.net/~brian448/

Attachments:
Download 'ffrocket.jpg' (19 KB)

Preview of image 'ffrocket.jpg'
ffrocket.jpg

> I am working on a model of the Fantastic Four rocket that was used in
> the 60's cartoon.  I have made the model and am happy with it.  I am now
> trying to put the '4' decal on the nose cone.  I have an image map of
> the 4 and have placed it in the correct position.  When I move the
> camera to the other side of the nose, however, the image is shonw as
> reversed.  I have searched this newsgroup on image maps and found out
> how to make a cube with 6 different maps on all of the faces.  I would
> like to know how to keep this one map from bleeding through to the other
> side.  I need to put the same image on the other side in the correct
> orientation.
>
> Attached is a picture of the front and back of the cone.  Any help would
> be greatly appreciated.

  I recommend you use two cones that have been clipped in half with a plane.
Apply the image map to one and then combine the two halves together in a
union.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

   You must absolutely LIVE on this news-server :)   Talk about your
quick turnaround times!

I'll give it a shot.  Sounds like it will work.

Ken wrote:

> Brian Mason wrote:
> >
> > Good morning,
> >
> > I am working on a model of the Fantastic Four rocket that was used in
> > the 60's cartoon.  I have made the model and am happy with it.  I am now
> > trying to put the '4' decal on the nose cone.  I have an image map of
> > the 4 and have placed it in the correct position.  When I move the
> > camera to the other side of the nose, however, the image is shonw as
> > reversed.  I have searched this newsgroup on image maps and found out
> > how to make a cube with 6 different maps on all of the faces.  I would
> > like to know how to keep this one map from bleeding through to the other
> > side.  I need to put the same image on the other side in the correct
> > orientation.
> >
> > Attached is a picture of the front and back of the cone.  Any help would
> > be greatly appreciated.
>
>   I recommend you use two cones that have been clipped in half with a plane.
> Apply the image map to one and then combine the two halves together in a
> union.
>
> --
> Ken Tyler
>
> mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Brian Mason
bri### [at] gvnnet
http://www.gvn.net/~brian448/

On Sun, 27 Jun 1999 16:59:09 -0700, Brian Mason <bri### [at] gvnnet>
wrote:

>I am working on a model of the Fantastic Four rocket that was used in
>the 60's cartoon.  I have made the model and am happy with it.  I am now
>trying to put the '4' decal on the nose cone.  I have an image map of
>the 4 and have placed it in the correct position.  When I move the
>camera to the other side of the nose, however, the image is shonw as
>reversed.  I have searched this newsgroup on image maps and found out
>how to make a cube with 6 different maps on all of the faces.  I would
>like to know how to keep this one map from bleeding through to the other
>side.  I need to put the same image on the other side in the correct
>orientation.

Please refrain from posting binaries to any newsgroup that doesn't
have the word 'binaries' in its name.