POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : In search of a good editor Server Time
16 Jun 2024 16:42:11 EDT (-0400)
  In search of a good editor (Message 26 to 35 of 35)
From: Thierry CHARLES
Subject: Re: In search of a good editor
Date: 23 Mar 2007 13:01:59
Message: <46041617$1@news.povray.org>
Java is something really bad for any system which uses it. At work, I
develop using netbeans and I have everybody as the same feeling : it's
heavy ... very very very heavy. This is due to the memory managment
model of the java technology itself : there is no memory managment.

The best thing you can do is not to use something based on java :-/

Thierry

>> Philippe Debar schrieb:
>> I don't know about Java (there might be components of the Java system

>> wrongly running with increased priority) but apart from that this
>> would be extremely unusual.  Unless you are running out of memory of
>> course - since there is nothing like priority for swapping exceeding
>> available memory will always slow down the whole system.  Also note
>> Gimp uses its own 'virtual memory' system so you should make sure its

>> settings are appropriate.
>

> It's at least the combination of swap (Eclipse is very memory-hungry an
> nearly eats up all of my 768Mo by itself), and 100% CPU usage (Pov).
>
> But even then, I already ran into these conditions without getting such

> a slowdown. Eclipse/Java must be doing something, but I will not spend

> any more time trying to guess what. I'll consider this a major defect
> and will make my choice among the other editors.
>

>> You can easily test if a slowdown you experience during a POV-Ray
>> render is due to POV-Ray 'eating up' CPU time - run it with lowest
>> priority ('nice -19 povray' instead of 'povray') and see if this
>> changes anything.  If not a hypothetical pause function in POV-Ray
>> would not help either.
>

> Thanks for the tip.
>

> //Philippe

Post a reply to this message