POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : In search of a good editor : Re: In search of a good editor Server Time
26 Jun 2024 00:56:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: In search of a good editor
From: Philippe Debar
Date: 25 Jun 2007 10:25:57
Message: <467fd075@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I apologise for the loooong delay... I thought I was going to have some

All that follows is IIRC.

Overall, I found PovClipse to be one of the best Pov Gui for Linux, with
the most annoying problem being his resource-hunger.

> Philippe Debar <phd### [at] rletbe> wrote:
>> It's at least the combination of swap (Eclipse is very memory-hungry and
>> nearly eats up all of my 768Mo by itself), and 100% CPU usage (Pov).
>
> Hi Philippe,
>
> Open Source lives from the user base and from their response to the project
> team. This is especially true for bug reporting and general feedback.

Yes. At the time, bug reporting seemed to be essentialy through email,
which meant that user had no way of knowing what bugs were already
reported. I filled almost no bug because I did not want to bother a lone
and courageous dev' with bugs under an OS that seemed unavailable to him.

>> * I had to fight a bit too much to my taste to make it work.
> Using a new tool is always a bit inconvenient until you are used to it.

Yes. I dit make it work. Well, most of.

>> * I cannot get code completion to work at all.
> Please fill a bug report and please include the PovClipse log file.

I sure will if/when I go back to poving.

>> * Why doesn't the delete key want to work?!?
> Please fill a detailed bug report

Here it is : "Pressing the del in the editor key does nothing".

>> * The render settings dialog is rather temperamental.
> What exactly do you mean with that?

The dialog did not always appeared or did nothing.

>> * It is sooo sloooowww and resource heavy.
> Depends on the machine. Yes, I totally agree with you, Eclipse **IS** memory
> consuming like hell, but it offers a great framework in turn. I guess
> upgrading your memory

Not possible right now.

> tried PovClipse using a virtual machine (SuSE 10.2) with a setting of 512M
> RAM and have not seen anything like your UI freeze. Maybe your machine runs

> lots of ram?

No. Nothing special, only desktop apps.

> Please consider a re-test using the new 0.7.1 version. There were lots of
> features added since you had a look on PovClipse (sounds like it was 0.6.3
> or prior). Since 0.7.0 the PovClipse log contains also the time taken by
> the most time-consuming methods, it would be helpful if you post it in a
> bug report.

Try as I might, I could never make Eclipse update PovClipse :(

If/When ever I go back to poving, I'll check PovClipse again and give
feedback.

Povingly,

//Philippe