POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : In search of a good editor : Re: In search of a good editor Server Time
26 Jun 2024 01:02:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: In search of a good editor
From: Wolf
Date: 27 Apr 2007 15:00:02
Message: <web.46324769a4a34944edd244720@news.povray.org>
Philippe Debar <phd### [at] rletbe> wrote:
> It's at least the combination of swap (Eclipse is very memory-hungry and
> nearly eats up all of my 768Mo by itself), and 100% CPU usage (Pov).

Hi Philippe,

Open Source lives from the user base and from their response to the project
team. This is especially true for bug reporting and general feedback.

In terms of PovClipse:

If you find something you consider a major defect please create a bug
tracker using the PovClipse bug tracking mechanism at
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=172199&atid=860832 .

You wrote you would like to see the following features in a POV editor, I
added in round brackets the current support state:

* Easy pov options editing (supported by render configurations)
* Code completion (supported, including templates)
* Insert menu (standard editor functions, but no POV-related things)
* Contextual pov help (supported, press Shift+F2)
* Hide and show image, with partial rendering (supported, but not for
partial renderings. Turn on the Povray flag for displaying the image
instead)
* Auto indent
* Open include files (supported, the Strg key activates hyperlinks on the
include file names)
* pause and stop rendering (can not be supported as Povray itself does not
offer this functionality, at least not to my knowledge)
* jump to / highlight error line
* autosave before render and one-keypress render (autosave: suported as of
0.7.1, one-keypress render: supported using the launcher)
* column selection and manipulation
* multiple splitview (supported, both horizontally and vertically)
* block indent/dedent and block comment/uncomment (both supported)

In your posting from 20 Mar 2007 you wrote:

> * Developed for Windows ; Linux is "Not tested yet, but reported to
> run". Can't find any plan to change this state.

This is because I'm the only one developing PovClipse. PovClipse is not
developed **FOR** Windows, it is developed **WITH** Windows and is
therefore tested with windows.

The choice of using Eclipse is based on the fact that all parts (Povray /
MegaPOV, Eclipse and Java) are available on most Operating Systems,
including Windows, Linux, Mac and others.

Back to your statement above: the plan of supporting Linux is based on
somebody joining the development / testing team being concerned with this

PovClipse runs on Linux but is not officially supported. But if you find a
(Linux related) bug I will try to fix it anyway.

> * I had to fight a bit too much to my taste to make it work.
Using a new tool is always a bit inconvenient until you are used to it.

> * I cannot get code completion to work at all.
Please fill a bug report and please include the PovClipse log file.

> * Why doesn't the delete key want to work?!?
Please fill a detailed bug report

> * The render settings dialog is rather temperamental.
What exactly do you mean with that?

> * No forum (the author doesn't seem to check those on Sourceforge very
>   often and they are not advertised on the main site), no community.

and is linked from the main site. PovClipse is a young product, the
community is evolving.

> * It is sooo sloooowww and resource heavy.
Depends on the machine. Yes, I totally agree with you, Eclipse **IS** memory
consuming like hell, but it offers a great framework in turn. I guess

tried PovClipse using a virtual machine (SuSE 10.2) with a setting of 512M
RAM and have not seen anything like your UI freeze. Maybe your machine runs

lots of ram?

Please consider a re-test using the new 0.7.1 version. There were lots of
features added since you had a look on PovClipse (sounds like it was 0.6.3
or prior). Since 0.7.0 the PovClipse log contains also the time taken by
the most time-consuming methods, it would be helpful if you post it in a
bug report.

Cheers,

Wolf