POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : cheaper, faster computing Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:30:57 EDT (-0400)
  cheaper, faster computing (Message 11 to 18 of 18)
From: davet
Subject: Re: cheaper, faster computing
Date: 15 Sep 1999 15:39:30
Message: <37DFF576.3EFC194@altatech.com>
I haven't seen the specs on the PS2, but what makes you think it will
outperform an Origin2000?

dave

--
David Tucker
dav### [at] altatechcom

Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Date: 15 Sep 1999 15:44:02
Message: <37dff702@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 15 Sep 1999 13:37:26 -0600, dav### [at] altatechcom wrote:
>I haven't seen the specs on the PS2, but what makes you think it will
>outperform an Origin2000?

Notice that it doesn't say how many nodes you'll need to pull that off. :)

From: TonyB
Date: 17 Sep 1999 11:33:41
Message: <37e25f55@news.povray.org>
>I haven't seen the specs on the PS2, but what makes you think it will
>outperform an Origin2000?

I have seen a PlayStation 2 in action. Imagine real-time Toy Story quality
graphics. That's how I know this thing is going to be HUGE. This project
MUST go ahead for the benefit of the entire graphics community. I wish I
were a part of it. If only my uncle Joe still worked at NASA, maybe he could
sneak me in to have a looksee. Good luck, guys! Rock on!!!

Post a reply to this message

Do we really need to go over the differences between ray tracing (POV)
and gouraud shading (Playstation)?  This won't work for the same reason
your whoopdy-doo high priced graphics card doesn't help pov one bit.
What I would like to see, is the floating point performance of the PS2.

dave

TonyB wrote:

> >I haven't seen the specs on the PS2, but what makes you think it will
> >outperform an Origin2000?
>
> I have seen a PlayStation 2 in action. Imagine real-time Toy Story quality
> graphics. That's how I know this thing is going to be HUGE. This project
> MUST go ahead for the benefit of the entire graphics community. I wish I
> were a part of it. If only my uncle Joe still worked at NASA, maybe he could
> sneak me in to have a looksee. Good luck, guys! Rock on!!!

--
David Tucker
dav### [at] altatechcom
http://www.altatech.com/

Post a reply to this message

originally i posted here for some help with artistic design not to have
to respond to technical naysayers. the answer is 6.2 GFLOPS - the other
specs are below.

is anyone willing to help us create a demo image ?

--
regards
david r. stone

dav### [at] altatechcom wrote:

> Do we really need to go over the differences between ray tracing (POV)
> and gouraud shading (Playstation)?  This won't work for the same reason
> your whoopdy-doo high priced graphics card doesn't help pov one bit.
> What I would like to see, is the floating point performance of the PS2.

CPU:
   * 128 Bit "Emotion Engine"
   * System Clock Frequency: 300 MHz
   * Cache Memory Instruction: 16KB, Data: 8KB + 16KB (ScrP)
   * Main Memory Direct
   * Rambus (Direct RDRAM) Memory Size: 32MB
   * Memory Bus Bandwidth: 3.2GB per Second
   * Co-Processor FPU (Floating Point Unit)
   * Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 1,
   * Floating Point Divider x 1
   * Vector Units VU0 and VU1
   * Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 9,
   * Floating Point Divider x 3
   * Floating Point Performance: 6.2 GFLOPS
   * 3D CG Geometric Transformation:
   * 66 Million Polygons per Second
   * Compressed Image Decoder
   * MPEG2 Graphics:
   * "Graphics Synthesizer"
   * Clock Frequency: 150MHz
   * DRAM Bus bandwidth:
   * 48GB per Second
   * DRAM Bus width: 2560bits
   * Pixel Configuration: RGB:Alpha:Z Buffer (24:8:32)
   * Maximum Polygon Rate: 75 Million Polygons per Second

Sound:
   * "SPU2+CPU"
   * Number of Voices ADPCM: 48 channels on SPU2, plus definable,
     software programmable voices programmable voices
   * Sampling Frequency: 44.1 KHz or 48 KHz (Selectable IOP:
   * I/O Processor
   * CPU: Core PlayStation (current) CPU
   * Clock Frequency: 33.9MHz or 37.5MHz (Selectable)
   * Sub Bus: 32 Bit
   * Interface Types: IEEE1394, Universal Serial Bus (USB),
     Commmunication via PC-Card (PCMCIA)

Disc Device:
   * CD-ROM and DVD-ROM

Post a reply to this message