POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : cheaper, faster computing : Re: cheaper, faster computing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:24:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cheaper, faster computing
From: Tomas Plachetka
Date: 21 Sep 1999 13:15:52
Message: <37E7BD40.C900AC6F@uni-paderborn.de>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Sep 1999 09:03:52 +0000, David R. Stone wrote:
> >please let me know via email if anyone is interested. we envisage
> >something like tux penguins weilding playstations chasing wolves in an
> >antarctic type scene.
>
> I think it's an interesting project, and if I had the time I'd be
> happy to offer my services, such as they are.  Unfortunately, I'm
> somewhat overcommitted already, as everyone here knows.
>
> I wonder if penguins chasing wolves is an appropriate image, though.
> It seems that the project is a combination of penguin+wolf+playstation,
> not an adversarial relationship with a wolf.  Perhaps an image of Tux
> riding or otherwise working with a wolf or wolfpack while wielding a
> playstation would be more apropos.  Then, of course, you need an enemy
> for them to pursue.  Too bad SGI/Cray doesn't have a cute mascot. :)

How about such an implementation:
A rope-pulling contest, wolfs and penguins on one side,
SGI/Cray-logos-like creatures on the other side (run
MS Word and look at the Assistent creature to see what
I mean). The penguins (always 1 penguin between 2 wolfs)
would be pulling (or pretending to pull) with only one
hand, wielding a playstation with the remaining one.
Some penguins could even only embrace the rope, wielding
their playstations with both hands, but pretending to pull,
of course.

The wolfs should express powerful working animals, bent
backwards as pulling, perhaps looking up, and should
look dangerous; while the penguins should look friendly,
with their silly smile, some bent backwards, some perhaps
not, all penguins' eyes looking down, fully concentrating
on their screens. The SGI/Cray-logos-like creatures should
be also working *very* hard... But - yes, you guessed -
the other side is stronger. The poor SGI/Cray-logos-like
creatures should therefore be bent forwards, almost
falling (some even falling).

Of course, there should be a touch of humour in it.
Sorry, I'm not good in modeling, not even in drawing
- otherwise I would send a sketch. This could be
a still image as well as an animation.

I have nothing against SGIs/Crays and hope that the
scenario I describe here is not too offensive...

	y.