POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : cheaper, faster computing : Re: cheaper, faster computing Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:35:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: cheaper, faster computing
From: David R  Stone
Date: 21 Sep 1999 00:01:46
Message: <37E7026D.DD26939D@powernethk.com>
dear all,

originally i posted here for some help with artistic design not to have
to respond to technical naysayers. the answer is 6.2 GFLOPS - the other
specs are below.

is anyone willing to help us create a demo image ?

--
regards
david r. stone

dav### [at] altatechcom wrote:

> Do we really need to go over the differences between ray tracing (POV)
> and gouraud shading (Playstation)?  This won't work for the same reason
> your whoopdy-doo high priced graphics card doesn't help pov one bit.
> What I would like to see, is the floating point performance of the PS2.

CPU:
   * 128 Bit "Emotion Engine"
   * System Clock Frequency: 300 MHz
   * Cache Memory Instruction: 16KB, Data: 8KB + 16KB (ScrP)
   * Main Memory Direct
   * Rambus (Direct RDRAM) Memory Size: 32MB
   * Memory Bus Bandwidth: 3.2GB per Second
   * Co-Processor FPU (Floating Point Unit)
   * Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 1,
   * Floating Point Divider x 1
   * Vector Units VU0 and VU1
   * Floating Point Multiply Accumulator x 9,
   * Floating Point Divider x 3
   * Floating Point Performance: 6.2 GFLOPS
   * 3D CG Geometric Transformation:
   * 66 Million Polygons per Second
   * Compressed Image Decoder
   * MPEG2 Graphics:
   * "Graphics Synthesizer"
   * Clock Frequency: 150MHz
   * DRAM Bus bandwidth:
   * 48GB per Second
   * DRAM Bus width: 2560bits
   * Pixel Configuration: RGB:Alpha:Z Buffer (24:8:32)
   * Maximum Polygon Rate: 75 Million Polygons per Second

Sound:
   * "SPU2+CPU"
   * Number of Voices ADPCM: 48 channels on SPU2, plus definable,
     software programmable voices programmable voices
   * Sampling Frequency: 44.1 KHz or 48 KHz (Selectable IOP:
   * I/O Processor
   * CPU: Core PlayStation (current) CPU
   * Clock Frequency: 33.9MHz or 37.5MHz (Selectable)
   * Sub Bus: 32 Bit
   * Interface Types: IEEE1394, Universal Serial Bus (USB),
     Commmunication via PC-Card (PCMCIA)

Disc Device:
   * CD-ROM and DVD-ROM