POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:20:36 EDT (-0400)
  Povray 4? wish list (Message 131 to 140 of 250)
From: Alessandro Coppo
Subject: Re: Povray 4? wish list
Date: 6 Dec 2001 06:34:44
Message: <3c0f57d4@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

> Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce <ken### [at] uniplanit> wrote:
> : 7) displacement mapping
>
>   Not possible.
>   (Well, possible for meshes, but then you need to tesselate the objects.)

It came to me that displacement mapping is almost like isosurfaces. For
example, a displacement mapped sphere is an isosurface described by
a sphere + displacement function. So I would not call it impossible (or
only for meshes) but "just" computationally heavy.

By the way, unless you are looking carefully at borders, displacement
mapping is just undistinguishable from normal fudging.

Bye!!!

Alessandro Coppo
REM### [at] iolit

Date: 6 Dec 2001 06:42:53
Message: <q7mu0uktos95v4bc7u8n91887400v6ii0g@4ax.com>
On Thu, 06 Dec 2001 11:21:47 GMT, ken### [at] uniplanit (Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce) wrote:
> Mhmm... I think that the raytracer should support those surfaces
> directly as it's hard for a modeller to do accurate tessellation.

It could be hard. IMO modellers differ in implementation of patched surfaces,
nurbs, splines etc.

> I know if I have only one big nurbs model and an infinite plane, i can
> use max tessellation and go with this... But if I have a complete,
> complex scene, with many nurbs characters and a complex background, I
> don't want to alter manually the tessellation parameters for every
> object if it's far away or near the camera...

With POV you are doing everything manually :-)

ABX
--
#declare _=function(a,b,x){((a^2)+(b^2))^.5-x}#default {pigment{color rgb 1}}
union{plane{y,-3}plane{-x,-3}finish{reflection 1 ambient 0}}isosurface{ //ABX

Post a reply to this message