POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:27:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Alessandro Coppo
Date: 6 Dec 2001 06:54:03
Message: <3c0f5c5b@news.povray.org>
Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce wrote:

> Because I'm sure that maaany intresting shaders will be made if we
> make an easy system to do them. Just check out how many shaders you
> can find for renderman, or how many shader collections there are for
> raytracers that support pluggable shaders (mentalray,lightwave, or mhm
> do U know/remember the essence collection for imagine??). Just think
> about cloud shaders, skin (translucent) shader, special effects,
> cel-look shaders, improved local reflection models... With renderman
> shaders you can even replicate fur...
> Also this is a feature that is not common among freeware raytracers
> (and not so common among commercial raytracers too) so povray could
> make another big step toward being the definitive renderer

By the way, Renderman shaders are much more clear and compact than
many Pov textures (instead of finding contorsions necessary to create a
given effect, you just code it). In the second edition of the Procedural
Texures book there are extremely powerful shaders which are shown in
little more than 20/40 lines (and don't tell me you can do everything with
feature X... if this was true, there would be no need for anything besides
assembler!)

If Pov has to have a future, programmable shaders are a must.

Bye!!!
Alessandro Coppo
REM### [at] iolit