POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Povray 4? wish list : Re: Povray 4? wish list Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:15:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 4? wish list
From: Alessandro Coppo
Date: 6 Dec 2001 06:34:44
Message: <3c0f57d4@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

> Angelo 'kENpEX' Pesce <ken### [at] uniplanit> wrote:
> : 7) displacement mapping
>
>   Not possible.
>   (Well, possible for meshes, but then you need to tesselate the objects.)

It came to me that displacement mapping is almost like isosurfaces. For
example, a displacement mapped sphere is an isosurface described by
a sphere + displacement function. So I would not call it impossible (or
only for meshes) but "just" computationally heavy.

By the way, unless you are looking carefully at borders, displacement
mapping is just undistinguishable from normal fudging.

Bye!!!

Alessandro Coppo
REM### [at] iolit