POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Reflection colors Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:29:29 EDT (-0400)
  Reflection colors (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Nathan Kopp
Subject: Reflection colors
Date: 17 Mar 1999 10:49:09
Message: <36EFCEA9.C62E9913@Kopp.com>
Ok... if you want to reflect red, you use
  reflection <1,0,0>

But what if you want to reflect a complex pattern???  Since "finish"
cannot currently be patterened, this is not possible.

But think about this.  If you specify the 'metallic' keyword, the highlights on
your objects will take on the color of the object's pigment.  A highlight is
basically a faked blurry reflection of the light source, right?  So, doesn't it
make sence that if you specify 'metallic', all reflection should take on the
color of the pigment?  Ok, so maybe that would be too drastic and would break
too many scenes. But how about this:  a 'metallic_reflection' flag that would
make reflections reflect the color of the pigment.  Thoughts?

I'll probably implement this in the next version of UVPov (photon mapping
patch), but I do want to hear your comments.

-Nathan

Post a reply to this message

> I'll probably implement this in the next version of UVPov (photon mapping
> patch), but I do want to hear your comments.

Sounds good. As long as it doesn't break any old scenes it never
hurts to add a reasonable feature. I haven't had the need to reflect
any other color than gray but I guess it could come in handy
sometimes.

/ Mathias Broxvall

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:47:53 -0500, Nathan Kopp <Nat### [at] Koppcom>
wrote:

>Ok... if you want to reflect red, you use
>  reflection <1,0,0>
>
>But what if you want to reflect a complex pattern???  Since "finish"
>cannot currently be patterened, this is not possible.
>
>But think about this.  If you specify the 'metallic' keyword, the highlights on
>your objects will take on the color of the object's pigment.  A highlight is
>basically a faked blurry reflection of the light source, right?  So, doesn't it
>make sence that if you specify 'metallic', all reflection should take on the
>color of the pigment?  Ok, so maybe that would be too drastic and would break
>too many scenes. But how about this:  a 'metallic_reflection' flag that would
>make reflections reflect the color of the pigment.  Thoughts?
>
>I'll probably implement this in the next version of UVPov (photon mapping
>patch), but I do want to hear your comments.

IIRC, Wyzard has implemented this very thing as a new keyword in the
most recent version of Wyzpov.
Jerry Anning
clem "at" dhol "dot" com

Post a reply to this message

Which reminds me, I'm going to have to incorporate wyzpov into uvpov.

-Nathan

Jerry Anning wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Mar 1999 10:47:53 -0500, Nathan Kopp <Nat### [at] Koppcom>
> wrote:
>
> >Ok... if you want to reflect red, you use
> >  reflection <1,0,0>
> >
> >But what if you want to reflect a complex pattern???  Since "finish"
> >cannot currently be patterened, this is not possible.
> >
> >But think about this.  If you specify the 'metallic' keyword, the highlights on
> >your objects will take on the color of the object's pigment.  A highlight is
> >basically a faked blurry reflection of the light source, right?  So, doesn't it
> >make sence that if you specify 'metallic', all reflection should take on the
> >color of the pigment?  Ok, so maybe that would be too drastic and would break
> >too many scenes. But how about this:  a 'metallic_reflection' flag that would
> >make reflections reflect the color of the pigment.  Thoughts?
> >
> >I'll probably implement this in the next version of UVPov (photon mapping
> >patch), but I do want to hear your comments.
>
> IIRC, Wyzard has implemented this very thing as a new keyword in the
> most recent version of Wyzpov.
> Jerry Anning
> clem "at" dhol "dot" com

Post a reply to this message