POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OS as a Service Server Time
6 Oct 2024 09:24:23 EDT (-0400)
  OS as a Service (Message 21 to 30 of 97)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: OS as a Service
Date: 1 Aug 2015 05:26:41
Message: <55bc90d1$1@news.povray.org>
On 01/08/2015 12:09 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 19:47:14 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>
>> Selling "support" also works. Provided you have the staff to actually
>> deliver support.
>
> The problem with this is that if you're selling support, your product is
> poorly designed and difficult to use.
>
> If you're a software company that depends on support and training as
> bottom-line revenue figures, you're doing software wrong IMHO.

Heh. Well there is that... ;-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Francois Labreque
Date: 1 Aug 2015 10:37:15
Message: <55bcd99b$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2015-07-31 19:09, Jim Henderson a écrit :
> On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 19:47:14 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>
>> Selling "support" also works. Provided you have the staff to actually
>> deliver support.
>
> The problem with this is that if you're selling support, your product is
> poorly designed and difficult to use.
>
> If you're a software company that depends on support and training as
> bottom-line revenue figures, you're doing software wrong IMHO.

You're saying a oil-rig management system, or an MRI control system
shouldn't require training?

I agree that if you're selling 3D-tictactoe-as-a-Service, and expect
people to call you for support, you may have a problem, but complex
software such as ERPs, or even industry-grade CAD systems _should_
require some level of training to install and operate properly.