POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : OS as a Service : Re: OS as a Service Server Time
6 Oct 2024 08:22:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OS as a Service
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Aug 2015 20:49:28
Message: <55beba98$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 10:37:20 -0400, Francois Labreque wrote:

> Le 2015-07-31 19:09, Jim Henderson a écrit :
>> On Fri, 31 Jul 2015 19:47:14 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>>
>>> Selling "support" also works. Provided you have the staff to actually
>>> deliver support.
>>
>> The problem with this is that if you're selling support, your product
>> is poorly designed and difficult to use.
>>
>> If you're a software company that depends on support and training as
>> bottom-line revenue figures, you're doing software wrong IMHO.
>>

> You're saying a oil-rig management system, or an MRI control system
> shouldn't require training?

Of course not.  There are things relating to the system that are not
about the system itself.

What I am saying is that if your UI is so complex that it needs a guide
or a training class, then your UI is not properly designed.

> I agree that if you're selling 3D-tictactoe-as-a-Service, and expect
> people to call you for support, you may have a problem, but complex
> software such as ERPs, or even industry-grade CAD systems _should_
> require some level of training to install and operate properly.

No, training is required for the job.  In order to use a CAD system to
design aircraft properly, for example, you need to understand aircraft
design.

Using the UI should be intuitive to someone with the necessary skills.

Jim