POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Political Discussions in this Newsgroup Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:22:29 EDT (-0400)
  Political Discussions in this Newsgroup (Message 38 to 47 of 47)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Political Discussions in this Newsgroup
Date: 1 Oct 2014 15:28:51
Message: <542c55f3$1@news.povray.org>
Am 30.09.2014 21:45, schrieb Shay:

>> I also think it quite healthy because it includes both reason /and/
>> emotion, and my guess is that this is exactly what most of us like best
>> about the atmosphere (do you say that in English?) of this newsgroup.
>
> This newsgroup is typical in that disagreement is "allowed" as long as *certain*
> assertions are not challenged.
>
> In the US currently, we can calmly argue over /how/ to deal with Isis, but

> nutcase.
>
> Similarly, in p.o-t we can calmly argue over the specifics of king-for-a-day

> the king-for-a-day premise itself is quickly, sharply admonished.

... whatever "king-for-a-day Progressivism" or "the king-for-a-day
premise" is.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 13 Oct 2014 19:45:44
Message: <543c6428@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 28.09.2014 01:15, andrel wrote:

> Often it is about culture and politics. Which makes it even more
> interesting than arguing with your neighbour.
> Although most regulars are (older) man from western countries.

Older? Do you mean "elderly" or just above 40? The latter would be
easily explainable to me - the heydays of POV-Ray were in the 1990s,
when also the Internet in its easily accessible GUI incarnation, called
the World Wide Web emerged... and POV-Ray was one of the achievements
emerging from the free software culture that had developed during the
pre-WWW stages of the Internet. So, not so few of the twentysomethings
who entered the Internet during the early to mid-1990s (and who already
became familiar with home computers as teenagers in the 1980s) also gave
POV-Ray a try - while the later generations of users did not have that
"geek" background anymore, as the Internet soon became as ubiquitous and
(seemingly!) trivial to use as TV or telephone, and so it may appear
that such absorbing computer hobbies like raytracing have gone out of
fashion with younger people on the Internet...

> Getting a few asians or africans on board would make things even more
> interesting (or from latin america, but I am not sure if the last one
> was a success). Definitely lacking a female perspective also.

And I also wonder how extremely people from Islamic countries are
here... I keep track of p.b.i. since 2000, and I remember only 2 (two!)
active posters (out of currently 1,360!) whose names clearly indicate an
Islamic background! Which I think is somewhat strange, as the
traditional abstract, geometrical and mathematical Islamic approach to
art goes perfectly well with POV-Ray...

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message