POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Political Discussions in this Newsgroup : Re: Political Discussions in this Newsgroup Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:33:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Political Discussions in this Newsgroup
From: Tim Cook
Date: 14 Oct 2014 14:11:36
Message: <543d6758$1@news.povray.org>
On 2014-10-14 09:27, Bald Eagle wrote:
> Post images and/or links on other boards - "raytraced with POV-Ray
> (www.povray.org)".
>
> Math - this is a natural, considering the nature of computer graphics, SDL,
> Friederich Lohmueller's site, Mike Williams' Isosurfaces, many others, and the
> fact that not one but TWO 2-hour movies (Chaos and Dimensions) exist

This one is probably the most-relevant to POV-Ray; people simply wanting
to 'get into 3D rendering' are far more likely to be drawn to one of the
big names like 3DS or Maya.

I'm not aware of (though I don't get out much) an equivalent of
isosurface elsewhere in the world of CGI.

For programming, there are also far more popular languages which have
direct applicability to real-world skill of being able to claim you are
fluent in.

 From what I've read[citation needed], POV-Ray is somewhat popular for
data visualisation for astronomy and such.  Since this specific thread
is sociopolitical, perhaps generating some nice graphs from crunched
numbers of related data would be a draw for sociologists?

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.sjcook.com