POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Political Discussions in this Newsgroup : Re: Political Discussions in this Newsgroup Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:19:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Political Discussions in this Newsgroup
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 13 Oct 2014 19:45:44
Message: <543c6428@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 28.09.2014 01:15, andrel wrote:

> Often it is about culture and politics. Which makes it even more
> interesting than arguing with your neighbour.
> Although most regulars are (older) man from western countries.

Older? Do you mean "elderly" or just above 40? The latter would be
easily explainable to me - the heydays of POV-Ray were in the 1990s,
when also the Internet in its easily accessible GUI incarnation, called
the World Wide Web emerged... and POV-Ray was one of the achievements
emerging from the free software culture that had developed during the
pre-WWW stages of the Internet. So, not so few of the twentysomethings
who entered the Internet during the early to mid-1990s (and who already
became familiar with home computers as teenagers in the 1980s) also gave
POV-Ray a try - while the later generations of users did not have that
"geek" background anymore, as the Internet soon became as ubiquitous and
(seemingly!) trivial to use as TV or telephone, and so it may appear
that such absorbing computer hobbies like raytracing have gone out of
fashion with younger people on the Internet...

> Getting a few asians or africans on board would make things even more
> interesting (or from latin america, but I am not sure if the last one
> was a success). Definitely lacking a female perspective also.

And I also wonder how extremely people from Islamic countries are
here... I keep track of p.b.i. since 2000, and I remember only 2 (two!)
active posters (out of currently 1,360!) whose names clearly indicate an
Islamic background! Which I think is somewhat strange, as the
traditional abstract, geometrical and mathematical Islamic approach to
art goes perfectly well with POV-Ray...

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar