POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PCs vs consoles Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:25:25 EDT (-0400)
  PCs vs consoles (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Darren New
Subject: PCs vs consoles
Date: 6 Feb 2012 01:33:09
Message: <4f2f7425$1@news.povray.org>
One thing I don't understand is why games that target consoles don't do
infrastructure-type improvements on PCs. For example, Portal has, at the end
of each level, an elevator ride, that freezes in the middle as a loading
screen, then resumes. Well, my XBox has half a gig of RAM, and my PC has 6.
Or 16, depending which one you're talking about. Would it really be so hard
to have a low-priority thread loading the next level into a second block of
RAM during the current level, or even during the elevator ride? (I'm
assuming it doesn't actually take several seconds to copy textures from RAM
to video card, does it?)

Batman did such a sweet job of this, even on consoles, that I surprised a
few friends by pointing out where the loading screens were that they hadn't
noticed. :-)  That really was a technically-awesome game.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)