POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : PCs vs consoles : Re: PCs vs consoles Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:16:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PCs vs consoles
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Feb 2012 11:34:24
Message: <4f393b90$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/11/2012 19:43, Slime wrote:
> In a word, yes. It's only (relatively) easy under the assumption that a
> level can be "loaded into a block of RAM," which is probably not the case.

Actually, since most of the time seems to be spent pulling the level off the
HD or DVD, I would think you could pre-buffer the files at least. *That*
should be pretty trivial to implement, even if unpacking the levels into
individual objects and such can't be done easily. I'd imagine that would
reduce loading times a bunch.

 > If you would prefer the game without loading screens, you should suggest
what feature you would have liked to trade that for.

That's a good question. Portal2 is pretty tight. On the other hand, if the
priorities differently, or even hire an extra developer to work on it, so
it's not like I'm asking for something absurd. :-)  Plus, of course, it's
the Source engine, so it's not like the work wouldn't be amortized over
numerous games.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)