POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A rare moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:20:54 EDT (-0400)
  A rare moment (Message 75 to 84 of 84)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: A rare moment
Date: 27 Sep 2011 16:17:54
Message: <4E822F70.1080101@gmail.com>
On 27-9-2011 20:20, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:32:18 +0200, andrel wrote:

>> Just as long as it is within their field. Let them write a grant
>> application to get money to pay their training program and living for
>> half a year with only 15% granted and see if they still like to compete.
>
> That's not the way it works, though.  You work in academia IIRC, are you
> saying you don't compete for grant money for research you're working on?

No I do, and I hate it, and so does almost everyone I know. (meaning
that someone I know might like it, but that I never noticed. Put another
way: everyone that said something about it in my company hates it). We
are forced by others to do so, even though we know the system does not
work and can never work. At least not until someone invents a time machine.
So yes, I am competing, but I am still not competitive and actually
there is no competition either. (there are arbitrary numbers attached to
the entries, combined in an arbitrary way and then an arbitrary
threshold is set in order spend the budget but no more).

>>> Right now, we're discussing competing ideas - in a way, this discussion
>>> is a form of competition. ;)
>>
>> And I have a bit of a cold so I am competing with a lot of small things
>> too. Sorry, what was the point?
>
> You've said that you're not competitive by nature, but in fact, you do
> compete even if you don't call it that.

It is not a competition if there are no rules.

>>> Perhaps it's more cultural than I initially thought. :)  I read an
>>> interesting article today at www.markgoulston.com about the nature of
>>> competition in the US and how it differs from other parts of the world.
>>> I'd be interested in what you think of that article.
>>
>> I vaguely remember someone in the beginning of this discussion
>> mentioning that competitiveness is cultural. It was a long time ago, so
>> I might be misremembering.
>
> No, I remember someone making that statement, too.  I thought it was
> you. :)

What? Oh yes indeed, it was apparently even the first thing I said.

>> What I find interesting is that an American realizes that cultural
>> differences exist. They often seem to have trouble understanding that.
>> Must be cultural.
>
> LOL!  Many Americans do - as a society, we tend to be overconfident and
> tend to underachieve.  There was a study done recently about how students
> around the world perform on exams, with Americans scoring somewhere in
> the middle on actual score, but their confidence in answering the exam
> questions was #1.  So, we're #1 and thinking we're #1.

Which might annoy the hell out of an international group if all but one
realize that the American does not know what he is talking about.

>>> I think there are some like that.  I know in my current situation, I'd
>>> prefer tomorrow not be the same as today - I'd rather be employed. ;)
>>
>> But if you have a family you would prefer them to be there tomorrow too.
>> If you had enough money to buy food, you'd prefer that to be the case
>> tomorrow too. Still having two arms would be a bonus. Being employed or
>> not is just a mere detail. ;)
>
> Fair points, though employed/not employed - at least right now - is kinda
> a big detail.

It is the focus of your attention, which might not be the same thing.

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 22:17:52 +0200, andrel wrote:

> On 27-9-2011 20:20, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:32:18 +0200, andrel wrote:
>
>>> Just as long as it is within their field. Let them write a grant
>>> application to get money to pay their training program and living for
>>> half a year with only 15% granted and see if they still like to
>>> compete.
>>
>> That's not the way it works, though.  You work in academia IIRC, are
>> you saying you don't compete for grant money for research you're
>> working on?
>
> No I do, and I hate it, and so does almost everyone I know. (meaning
> that someone I know might like it, but that I never noticed. Put another
> way: everyone that said something about it in my company hates it). We
> are forced by others to do so, even though we know the system does not
> work and can never work. At least not until someone invents a time
> machine. So yes, I am competing, but I am still not competitive and
> actually there is no competition either. (there are arbitrary numbers
> attached to the entries, combined in an arbitrary way and then an
> arbitrary threshold is set in order spend the budget but no more).

Well, I would suggest that there is a competition and that you are
competing - there are a finite amount of money available, right?  And
that money goes to the person or team that makes the best case for
receiving it?

>>> And I have a bit of a cold so I am competing with a lot of small
>>> things too. Sorry, what was the point?
>>
>> You've said that you're not competitive by nature, but in fact, you do
>> compete even if you don't call it that.
>
> It is not a competition if there are no rules.

Sure it is.  I've never seen a definition of competition that says there
have to be rules (though ultimately even if there are no rules, the
'rule' is to 'be the best' or 'be the top').

>>> I vaguely remember someone in the beginning of this discussion
>>> mentioning that competitiveness is cultural. It was a long time ago,
>>> so I might be misremembering.
>>
>> No, I remember someone making that statement, too.  I thought it was
>> you. :)
>
> What? Oh yes indeed, it was apparently even the first thing I said.

LOL

>> LOL!  Many Americans do - as a society, we tend to be overconfident and
>> tend to underachieve.  There was a study done recently about how
>> students around the world perform on exams, with Americans scoring
>> somewhere in the middle on actual score, but their confidence in
>> answering the exam questions was #1.  So, we're #1 and thinking we're
>> #1.
>
> Which might annoy the hell out of an international group if all but one
> realize that the American does not know what he is talking about.

Absolutely.  It's one of the things I dislike about the American
'persona'.  We're not a homogenous people in any way, but I think
especially in our level of conceit.  Some here are *far* more conceited
than others, and they aren't afraid to tell the whole world that they're
wrong.

They forget that our democracy is only about 200 years old, and there are
far, far older civilizations in the world that have much more
experience.  We're collectively like the teenager at the stage of "I know
everything and my parents no NOTHING".  But individually, we're not.

>>> But if you have a family you would prefer them to be there tomorrow
>>> too. If you had enough money to buy food, you'd prefer that to be the
>>> case tomorrow too. Still having two arms would be a bonus. Being
>>> employed or not is just a mere detail. ;)
>>
>> Fair points, though employed/not employed - at least right now - is
>> kinda a big detail.
>
> It is the focus of your attention, which might not be the same thing.

Possibly.  I know I can manage paying the bills for another 6 months or
so by dipping into our reserves, but I'd rather not do that.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On 27-9-2011 22:54, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 22:17:52 +0200, andrel wrote:
>

>>> Fair points, though employed/not employed - at least right now - is
>>> kinda a big detail.
>>
>> It is the focus of your attention, which might not be the same thing.
>
> Possibly.  I know I can manage paying the bills for another 6 months or
> so by dipping into our reserves, but I'd rather not do that.

remind me (and the others) what you are looking for. There's too many
people here to remember everything from everybody for me. (even if you
told it 2 days ago).

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 23:14:48 +0200, andrel wrote:

>>> It is the focus of your attention, which might not be the same thing.
>>
>> Possibly.  I know I can manage paying the bills for another 6 months or
>> so by dipping into our reserves, but I'd rather not do that.
>
> remind me (and the others) what you are looking for. There's too many
> people here to remember everything from everybody for me. (even if you
> told it 2 days ago).

I know the feeling. :)

I'm looking for something in technical program management or technical
writing.  I'm willing to consider technical consulting as well, but the
situation would have to be right.  I've been prepping to become a front-
line manager (that was prior to the layoff), and have skills in technical
education, testing, and technical certification programs.

I have a strong interest in continuing to pursue remote lab-based
testing, particularly the architecture of systems to do this kind of
testing.  (I'm not a hardcore developer, but I could lead a team of
developers to achieve that kind of goal).

Thanks!

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On 27/09/2011 9:54 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> Absolutely.  It's one of the things I dislike about the American
> 'persona'.  We're not a homogenous people in any way, but I think
> especially in our level of conceit.  Some here are*far*  more conceited
> than others, and they aren't afraid to tell the whole world that they're
> wrong.

My experience agrees with this. Most Americans that I have met are
polite and courteous and when they say “have a good day”. I feel that
they mean it.

> They forget that our democracy is only about 200 years old, and there are
> far, far older civilizations in the world that have much more
> experience.  We're collectively like the teenager at the stage of "I know
> everything and my parents no NOTHING".  But individually, we're not.

I’ve also noticed that a lot of Americans, and Australians too, develop
an inferiority complex when confronted with something more than 400
years old.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 10:44:50 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 27/09/2011 9:54 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Absolutely.  It's one of the things I dislike about the American
>> 'persona'.  We're not a homogenous people in any way, but I think
>> especially in our level of conceit.  Some here are*far*  more conceited
>> than others, and they aren't afraid to tell the whole world that
>> they're wrong.
>>

> My experience agrees with this. Most Americans that I have met are
> polite and courteous and when they say “have a good day”. I feel that
> they mean it.

I find something similar - we have our lunatics, of course, and the news
media elevates the lunatics.  Most people aren't like the lunatics.

>> They forget that our democracy is only about 200 years old, and there
>> are far, far older civilizations in the world that have much more
>> experience.  We're collectively like the teenager at the stage of "I
>> know everything and my parents no NOTHING".  But individually, we're
>> not.
>
> I’ve also noticed that a lot of Americans, and Australians too, develop
> an inferiority complex when confronted with something more than 400
> years old.

I'm reminded of a bit from one of Eddie Izzard's routines - about how in
the US we're "proud" to restore something to what it was *50 years ago* -
"No, that's impossible, nobody was ALIVE back then!" ;)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> On 27/09/2011 9:54 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Absolutely. It's one of the things I dislike about the American
>> 'persona'. We're not a homogenous people in any way, but I think
>> especially in our level of conceit. Some here are*far* more conceited
>> than others, and they aren't afraid to tell the whole world that they're
>> wrong.
>>

> My experience agrees with this. Most Americans that I have met are
> polite and courteous and when they say “have a good day”. I feel that
> they mean it.
>

>> They forget that our democracy is only about 200 years old, and there are
>> far, far older civilizations in the world that have much more
>> experience. We're collectively like the teenager at the stage of "I know
>> everything and my parents no NOTHING". But individually, we're not.
>
> I’ve also noticed that a lot of Americans, and Australians too, develop
> an inferiority complex when confronted with something more than 400
> years old.

Me too, funny isn't it. I am part of a culture that is a few thousand
years old (although it has changed so much since the late 60's (and a
few times before and after) that you can hardly call it the same
culture). I have had friends living in houses that date back from before
columbus. Still, I was born in the 60's and there nothing that makes me
older than an American of the same age.