POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A rare moment : Re: A rare moment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A rare moment
From: andrel
Date: 28 Sep 2011 16:30:16
Message: <4E8383D7.3080303@gmail.com>
On 28-9-2011 11:44, Stephen wrote:
> On 27/09/2011 9:54 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Absolutely. It's one of the things I dislike about the American
>> 'persona'. We're not a homogenous people in any way, but I think
>> especially in our level of conceit. Some here are*far* more conceited
>> than others, and they aren't afraid to tell the whole world that they're
>> wrong.
>>

> My experience agrees with this. Most Americans that I have met are
> polite and courteous and when they say “have a good day”. I feel that
> they mean it.
>

>> They forget that our democracy is only about 200 years old, and there are
>> far, far older civilizations in the world that have much more
>> experience. We're collectively like the teenager at the stage of "I know
>> everything and my parents no NOTHING". But individually, we're not.
>
> I’ve also noticed that a lot of Americans, and Australians too, develop
> an inferiority complex when confronted with something more than 400
> years old.

Me too, funny isn't it. I am part of a culture that is a few thousand
years old (although it has changed so much since the late 60's (and a
few times before and after) that you can hardly call it the same
culture). I have had friends living in houses that date back from before
columbus. Still, I was born in the 60's and there nothing that makes me
older than an American of the same age.

--
Apparently you can afford your own dictator for less than 10 cents per
citizen per day.